1. Health

Buddy T

New OxyContin Pill Harder to Abuse?

By May 4, 2010

A new version of OxyContin, packaged in a manner that supposedly makes it more difficult to abuse, is out on the market, but the jury is still out on whether or not the new pills will reduce abuse of the painkiller drug. The FDA approved the new version, but required the manufacturer to conduct tests to prove that the new version is abused less.

The new version of the pill makes is more difficult to broken, crushed, chewed or dissolved by addicts wanting a heroin-like high from the drug.

Rather than the former pills (pictured above) the new OxyContin is a hard gelatin capsule, designed to release the drug into the system over a 24-hour period. It is also designed to make it more difficult to be manipulated so that it can be snorted or injected by addicts.

No Evidence New OxyContin Will Work

But is it? The FDA statement released with the announcement of the approval of the new OxyContin said "there is no evidence that the reformulation of OxyContin is less subject to misuse, abuse, diversion, overdose or addiction."

There is simply no scientific evidence that the new version will reduce the drug's abuse, a growing substance abuse problem in the United States.

Therefore, FDA required the manufacturer, Purdue Pharma, to conduct research to determine if the new capsules actually reduce abuse of the drug and if so, how it does so.

In 2007, three Purdue Pharma pleaded guilty to misleading the public about the safety of OxyContin. The company was fined $634.5 million, one of the largest drug-company penalties ever.

More About OxyContin:

Photo: DEA
Comments
May 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm
(1) Donna King says:

Hi, I just saw something about it being harder to abuse O.C. I think that is great.. I was in a severe car wreck 21 years ago and I am soooo messed up til it’s not even funny I only weigh 92 pounds if I was over weight I don’t think I would be able to move at all now it gets hard to even get out of bed I hate this my whole life is on hold cause I can’t make plans unless I have pain meds even to go to the store I can’t even pick up a gallon of milk and to see people around me even my 25 year old son that takes meds just to get a buzz and here I am in cronic pain EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE…. I HATE IT.. On the 22nd of this month my only daughter graduates and I’m so scared that something will happen and I want be able to attend…. and it seems like there is no dr. that wants to help me even with mri. letters from sergeons saying that within a year I will be in a whell chair….

August 28, 2010 at 8:07 am
(2) anonymous says:

they are harder to abuse i know som1 perscribed and is a addict and misuses the oxycontin… he sold a new “harder to crush oc” to a shooter.. he wanted hismoney back cuz he culdnt shoot the new pill..or smoke it…or snort it… and the person that i know whos perscribed wants his old oc back cuz he cant abuse unless u spend the extra money to get more mgs and get a hi with the timerelease

August 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm
(3) allen says:

i think there great and i hope they work because of the misuse it makes it harder to get for the people they were desinged to help im in a lot of pain and my condition can only get worse as i get older ive been put on many different pain meds ant this is buy far the one that has worked the best im able to get around a lot more than i would be without it the doc wanted to put a pain pump in my back but as long as this medican is on the market i would never consider it stop the abuse any way you can so the people this was desinged for can benafit from it Thank you

September 2, 2010 at 2:13 am
(4) John says:

Allen,

Honestly if you need it the doc would prescribe it either way. Whether there are addicts or not. Stop being a baby because honestly there is still heroin in the pill your taking so your still doing drugs whether your reason is justified or not your just not ruining your life like others are bc they got hooked. I think if someone wants to waste away that is their personal problem and people need to mind their own business.. Some people are goin to die from it being off the market because their body can’t function with out it. How do you feel rooting on people(women, teens, and men) dying.

September 2, 2010 at 11:01 pm
(5) Shay says:

Personally I think it’s ridiculous they’re doing this I got some of the new ones and they didn’t work as we’ll and also made me very sick. As for the addicts they will either just take more probably resulting in MORE overdoses or they will turn to street drugs like heroin and od on that plus it’s cheaper heroin is way more dangerous this is just going to end up with all the adicts doing heroin and it’s going to be much more worse thanabusing the prescribed drugs I heard they are doing the same thing with loratab and percocet .. This is just going to creat a whole new street drug mess more people will overdose and die I think they should leave things the way they. Are ,who agrees??

September 3, 2010 at 5:48 pm
(6) Brandon says:

The only thing this new, safer, and harder to abuse drug did was turn millions of oxy junkies into heroin junkies.

September 7, 2010 at 8:49 am
(7) teibbletimmy says:

I think this is messed up for those who need instant pain relief that they were used to getting from oc. I take them daily for a bad knee and don’t have coverage to see a doc to get a script. Now the new ones hit the street and here’s what I have to say about them. They aren’t THAT BAD!! I was scared like really scared I wasn’t going to get my lil buzz of happiness which I consider normal. To those of us who have been on Methadone programs before you will notice it’s a lot like mdone now. Yea it’s true you CAN’T SNORT THEM! YOU CAN’T SHOOT THEM! YOU CAN’T CHEW THEM! BUT!!!!! You can slice em up into lil pieces and swallow them and it will hit you 45min-1.5hr later but it’s nice and lasts longer this way and I must say waking up this morning I wasn’t feeling #### at all and I usually do 2 60s a day but yesterday I just did half a normal 60 and a quarter of a new 60 (which is MUCH bigger round and thinner and also a darker blood red) which I took a good 8-9 hrs after the half. Well to my surprise I felt it hours later and could tell I just needed to double up on that to really achieve what I was looking for (to walk around without knee pain). This morning I have a appointment I have to get to early so I woke up 2 hours early to give my new pill time to hit me. All I did was slice up the 3 quarters which equaled 45mg into a bunch of small pieces and swallowed em with some Rockstar at 5am and it’s 5:47am and I’m feeling really good and maybe it’s just me cuz I’ve heard folks saying they suck ect well not me! Nose is itching and I’m cheerful and my knee isn’t bugging me nor is my #### up right hand which never healed correctly!!

September 11, 2010 at 1:54 am
(8) detoxedoff says:

I will tell you one thing. Shay you are right. I detoxed off OC about 9 months ago and am in constant pain but have decided it is still a better life. None the less even though I was prescribed legally that wasnt all I would take neither my close circle. I still talk to many of those people and at least 3 I know THREE people I know have decided to try Heroin now cause the new OP’s dont help or arent the same. They all said, it was bound to happen anyways and Heroin is cheaper why not! I dont know that this was a good move at all

September 14, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(9) me says:

well the new ops u can still snort they just gel like a MS would use a cheese grater or a car hose clamp take the coating off and scrape the pill across the grooves and ull get more pill and its hard to snort and smoke but can be done promise you that i love opiates roxies everyday i did half op 60 tday and got me high

September 15, 2010 at 3:38 am
(10) lagnaf says:

Shay I have to agree with you I got my script a few days ago.. I have been in pain since I started taking the new ones and lost count on how many times I have felt sick or thrown up. I dont know what is different about them but I know they arent working

September 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm
(11) SAH says:

I have taken oc for 7 years for severe chronic pain. I don’t crush, snort, or otherwise abuse them. The new ones are not the same! My pain level is way up. They take a lot longer to work and they upset my stomach. Now what? I don’t want to increase the dose, but it feels like I am getting maybe half the medication I was before – to the point where I actually feel mild withdrawal symptoms! Oc is the only thing that has really ever helped my pain. It works great for me and allows me to function during the day. This new formulation really sucks! And the sad part is, it won’t stop abusers – they will find a way to abuse it or just go to something else. According to my pain management Doc, the new formulation is here to stay. He says Purdue w Well, thanks for letting me vent!

September 20, 2010 at 3:13 am
(12) Amy says:

i have never ever abused my medication. I have to work my ass of to pay $1000 for my Oxycontin because every month because i have no insurance. i have had my own business for more than 12 years now, my pain was very well controlled. i was able to work full time, take care of my home and child. I switched to OP’s on the first of this month. I kept a headache for the first 10 days, along with nausea and cramping. My activity level has dropped dramatically. I REFUSE to buy more of this medication because it is much less effective, and i really can’t afford to buy more. i still have the headache almost every day. the nausea is still there and i’ve noticed my moods have become erratic. i’m becoming depressed and distraught over my limitations. unless a person had no pain to begin with, how can they say it works the same. people need to be able to count on the medications they take. i pray this isn’t their greedy way to sell more of a less effective product, while pretending its all for safety purposes. i’m not sure whats next for me, i can’t tolerate morphine, so i continue to look for a solution. please report any side effects, and other problems with the reformulation to the FDA and to Prudue.

September 21, 2010 at 12:52 am
(13) Sean says:

wow wtf did people do before opiate based pain medications … the only reason they had to make this new formulation was because of stupid junkies trying to get high off of it, and now you’re going to whine that you’re going to have to move to stuff that’s actually illegal vs. abusing the system and getting something prescribed to you that you don’t need, or obtaining it illegally … chronic pain patients should blame the freakin’ addicts, and addicts should have thought about the consequences of their actions a long time ago

September 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm
(14) blahblahblah says:

No matter what an addict will always find away to make it work! Everyone with a brain knows this. Besides its all just one big money making circle for the government know matter what form the drug is in. So lets all jus put up are hands and give the pharm compaines and gov. a round of applause for giving addicts something else to do with there time.

September 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm
(15) OxyCotton says:

The new medicine is almost like a gel when you try to chew it. The longer you suck on it or try to break it down in your mouth the worse it gets.

Some people prescribed the original formula relieved their immediate pain by chewing the pill. The 20mg base is equal to four percocet for times of extreme pain.

The new medicine broke down in the mouth after about a half hour, but was like a gelatin booger and also made me gag.

It’s going to be different for a lot of the chewers. Times are changing and the government is well aware of what patients, street-users, and doctors are reporting these days. FREEDOM OF NOTHING is beginning.

September 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(16) AMY says:

John, you should really know what you are talking about before making stupid comments. There is NO HEROIN in oxycontin that’s the dumbest thing I have heard in a LONG time! They call oxy’s hillbilly heroin because they are both opiates and produce similar highs. But there is NO HEROIN IN OXYCONTIN you idiot. You seriously need to get your info right before saying stuff like that.

September 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm
(17) autumn says:

If drug abusers want to abuse a pill they are goung to abuse it no matter what.. They will just go to something else..We need to bann together that is the only way they will change the prescription drug back to the way it was.. My friend has been on the oxycontin pill for 10 yrs he has the new tablets now and they make hima sick and do not work as well…

September 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm
(18) poo says:

i see that some people like or dislike the new oc. I am opana er and it’s wonderful for pain . I ran out early cause i helped a freind out that ran out of the oc early. so he came by and gave me 2 new oc 30 .I was worried it wouldn’t help my pain. so i let it set in my mouth for a few fin then chewed it to it was goo. and if you buy the pill crusher with teeth it will crush . however i dont think it will hit you like the old oc. however i am not in pain and feel pretty energetic. and opan is 2 times stronger so for this to work for me shows that the new oc will hwlp pain for a longer period of time ( and that is what it was inteended for) and they give me energy all in all they work.

September 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm
(19) MarlboroMan says:

For about 7 years I’ve been prophylactically taking Oxycontin for back pain from 2 car accidents, and also taking Roxycodone (oxycodone hcl) for breakthrough pain. After a consult with my pain management Dr about two weeks ago I increased the Oxycontin and decreased the Roxycontin to make things easier for me; fewer pills and a more constant level of pain relief. Since the change I noticed I was feeling nauseous most of the time and the pain was not controlled. By experimenting with different combinations of meds I figured out that it was the Oxycontins that were screwing me up. I checked the New pills against some from an older script and, Guess what? The newer meds have the OP stamp on them. I can’t understand why Perdu would change a successful drug and then release it in spite of the negative side effects. I’m going back to taking all Roxicodone.

September 28, 2010 at 8:47 am
(20) Rob Hinger says:

All this is going to do is make more people turn to a cheaper opiate (heroin).

September 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm
(21) Bill says:

OK. I’ve read the pros and the cons and I have to admit that I am now in a total state of fear. I have a multitude of lumbar spine, hip and knee injuries which puts pain in a new dimension. These injuries were incured after a 6th floor fall while still working at my trade as an ironworker. I am all for surgery but I am also in the final staqes of emphysema and I have an aeortic aneurism. I’ve spoke to at least 6 ortho surgeons and they refuse to touch me because of the emphysema. Then they tell me even if I did find a surgeon, the chances of finding an anestitist are slim and none. Their convinced that the medication needed to put me under will kill me. So I would like to ask all you wizards out there where I can find a surgeon and anestitist who would be willing to do all the work I need done and have no consideration at all for malpractice or wrongful death suits!!!

September 28, 2010 at 4:41 pm
(22) Peyton Reilly says:

This comment is for those Who r uninsured ! I switched to 30Mg. Oxycodones 3 Yrs ago…., I was an idiot for over 5 Yrs. Paying over $1 K a month for my Oxycontin ! Now for the last 3 Yrs my Script is $290 a month for. 180 mgs a day ! Thats 6. 30 mg. Oxycodones a day for those who need help w/ Math !
This has doné wonders ! , Let alone all the $ savings I have been able to manage my meds alot better….

As for the New O.P. , Addicts. Will B Addicts and i am agreeing w/ those who say the Addict will go to
Herion or something else…. Bottom Line… Purdúe Pharm. Has just securèd themselves from not losing. $634 Milliòn on a Law Suit ! , Like they did in 2007….

Good Luck for those who R Truely in Pain. , Use ür Meds Properly…..

September 29, 2010 at 11:58 am
(23) tom h says:

This is going to cause more problems than help. The amount of people in the world that depend on this drug to keep them moving in life is ridiculously high. And the number of those people who snort/smoke/shoot the pill is just as high. Pretty much I think changing the pill will only cause more problems with the people who are addicted to the old oc to go find something worse to get there high.

September 29, 2010 at 12:07 pm
(24) Oc or op says:

Purdue makes 70% of their profit off of oxycotin sales so if enough people quit buying the product I’m sure they will go back to the old formula. Look at pursues website. What amazes me is that purdue sued all companies who tried to make generic oxycontin. Ever wonder why u don’t c those around anymore?from what I hear the genetics were the same as these new op’s. Gelling up. And there r tons of law suits against purdue because people become addicted. And who do they blame? The manufactuer. No wonder they cost so much.

October 1, 2010 at 8:13 am
(25) sean don says:

Oxycontin and opiates are the devil…. junkys are weak

October 1, 2010 at 4:52 pm
(26) I GOT THEM TODAY says:

I took a 20mg op two hrs ago and no pain releave at all and a up set gut and a burning feeling. NO GOOD A RIP OFF

October 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm
(27) beerbottle101 says:

I hate the new oxy op. They don’t work near as well on pain. My Dr is going to have to up my miligram or I am going to switch to opana or MS Contin. At least they can be crushed and snorted if that is the way I am going to use them. I also agree that alot of people will go to illegal drugs like heroin. Its a shame but that is exactly what is gonna happen

October 5, 2010 at 11:31 am
(28) neil says:

This is not good because now junkies will go to fentanyl or heroin, and from what I’ve seen they don’t work as well as the regular tabs

October 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm
(29) Gonzo says:

I picked up my ‘script yesterday and,having not heard of this new oc, took my pill and waited for relief and it never really came … When I looked at the pills and saw the “op” on them, I thought I had been given the wrong meds !
This new formula is less effective and is only going to force people like me who really need this medication to take more to get the same level of relief. Purdue makes more money,people will od trying to the pain to go away, some will move on to heroin,some will give up and take their own lives and the junkies will find a way to abuse this drug !!! Junkies will shoot up cat piss if they think it will get them high.
I pray for the people ,like me,who struggle with cronic pain everyday of their lives. I just hope someone out there is praying for me …

October 12, 2010 at 1:31 am
(30) Mike says:

Brandon is right. Most people that use OC to get high will just switch to dope. It’s the same thing. I did OC for a while and eventually started doing dope. The only difference is that OC is manufactured by a regulated pharmacy, while dope is manufactured by terrorists and packaged by people in the ‘hood. Opiates are opiates. Either you’re a junkie or your not. Millions of people right now are saying, “wow! I can get just as wasted off ten dollars worth of dope as I could have off of forty dollars worth of OC.” I know I uttered those words a few years ago. And to be honest, I wish I never touched either one of them. Get ready dope dealers, the heroin boom is coming…

October 15, 2010 at 6:28 am
(31) Arlene says:

I have taken OC for ten years. I take 8-80′s a day for nerve pain. I didn’t know the formula had been changed until looking for some help at Purdue, then I saw all these comments. I have been vomitting almost everyday, sometimes twice a day. My pain level is about a 8-9. Hasn’t been that high in years. Please bring the old formula back. There is no abuse here, I need relief. I have obligations to living beings and it has been so difficult to do what I need to do. Please!!!!My heart goes out to all you CPP’s. God Bless

October 18, 2010 at 8:30 pm
(32) Miles says:

8 80′s a day?? good god your vommiting due to withdraw symptoms. I get them for foot pain. I had cancer there and 1/2 my foot cut off and walking on it sucks. I get 30 op 60 a month and they work great, all i need is one all day. i also get 120 lortab 10′s a day just in case but those are a 2nd income for me. Ive never snorted shooted or anything like that but sometimes if im felling froggy ill take a 60 and a few 10′s but 8 80′s a day?? Jeez i hope you get better.

October 20, 2010 at 8:03 pm
(33) Paul says:

Been wondering why, now, I have upset stomach, vomiting, etc. Feel bad, with the pain. I cut some other meds, but it may be the new OC causing it.

I hate it because I must always keep track of it and cannot travel without planning around it. I ran out of pills in the back woods miles from any road. I don’t recall the withdrawal, other than I was bruised and swollen all over from thrashing about a cabin that my firends locked me in. It was so terrible the mind does not recall.

It is bad that this change was not tested properly.

October 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm
(34) chalk says:

i just got new ones not much for pain but doing the diet good cant eat lol

October 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(35) katherine says:

Actually AMY your the idiot. I have been a nurse for 35 years and oxycontin is a form of LEGAL HEROIN!!!!! SO YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

I am also on oxycontin 40mgs I have 2 prostetic knees and Im in severe pain 24/7 and Im hoping that I get the same relief from the ops as I did from the ocs. But Amy u need to grow up and if u dont know wtf ur talking about then keep ur comments to yourself

October 28, 2010 at 6:00 pm
(36) Terri says:

Just got the new Oxy OP pills 40mg 3x a day…Very disapointed they sure dont last long.I only get relief for about 4 hours at the most. I only swallow them and go to pain mgmnt..now I will have to go talk to the Dr buts he sure doesnt listen much..This chronic pain is a horrible way to live………..

October 29, 2010 at 4:45 am
(37) Terri says:

The New Jell Oxycontin’s are Awful all they are doing is making Me Sicker than Heck so much so I though I had a stomach bug & I’ve been in bed for weeks now it’s So BAD,I take them to manage my pain they do Not get me high,they have proof that ppl who take them for Chronic Pain & take as Prescribed don’t get high pls don’t believe all of what the Media puts into your head,Ins is paying over $1,000.00 for 1 month of my Rx & there worthless,if I had something better right now the ones I have left would be Thrown Out a Waste of Money & ppl who abuse drugs will find other way’s to get there Fix & likley on the Streets Jel Isn’t going to stop them & I think when more ppl speak Up &Out on how bad these New pills out there Stock Prices will fall I’m Glad I don’t own any esp right now as my stomach is starting up seeing I just took my dose a short time ago so now I’m going to be sick likley for the day -w- No Relief,some of us Don’t Snort,inject,ect & they help us -w- chronic painful conditions but I just don’t think a Jel coating is the answer,what if the made Booze hard as a rock & Jel outer layer would ppl stop drinking,I doubt it.

October 31, 2010 at 9:27 am
(38) New OP says:

I have been taking 40mg OC for years for chronic pain.
I am not an abuser of my medication, I have noticed the new OP’s are very different. I am having stomach problems that I never had taking the old formula. My question to everyone is what can be done? Has anyone contacted Purdue Pharm regarding the problems they are having with the new formula? If so, what information did they provide?

November 13, 2010 at 3:54 am
(39) op killer says:

People are hurting like hell and the old oc worked this new won don’t chewed snorted or taken purdue is gana make me loose my job cuz I’m in to much pain to work why doesn’t some new company mqake the old ones. It will happen then they will be billioners screw purdue they did us an the abusers out there are smoken heroin and shooting iy they didn’t better nothing makeing the new one

November 22, 2010 at 7:27 am
(40) OC addict says:

Look I’ve been addicted to OC’s for going on 3 years. The new verison of the pill isnt any hard for me to cook and inject. The only thing that it does is makes it harder for me to control the dose I’m cooking. It’s just going to end up causing more overdoses. But I guess thats what they want. Just kill off us junkies……..

December 1, 2010 at 4:00 am
(41) DdinCoquille says:

I have taken oxycontin for several years, had 2 back surgeries, knee replacement & am looking for another knee replacement on other knee ( when I can work up the courage to go through with it!) I was on 80mg every 8 hours. Worked fine. When the new formulation came along, I started having constant nausea. Thought it was another bout of diverticulitis, was treated for that, but the nausea did not let up. Constant nausea, then I heard from a couple people that had the same issues. So I asked my dr to try something else. After 12 days of no oxycontin- NO Nausea! Awesome!

December 7, 2010 at 3:42 pm
(42) phooka2@yahoo.com says:

I have been prescribed oxycontin 30 and oxycodone 5 (for berak through pain) for the past 3 yrs. When I picked up my new script for the mo. I never looked at them, I just took them as usual, I don’t snort, burn, inject or otherwise misuse these med. But soon after the meds hit my system my heart took off like a racehorse, I was jittery all over, sweating and shaking, what’s going on?? I continues taking them as I wasn’t sure just what was causing the problem, I blamed it on too much sugar, but I haven’t slept for three consecutive nights. I now realize it’s the oxy’s! I have had an upset stomach along with all the other things I’ve mentioned. I feel as though I’m being poisoned. I know have to decide what I need to do. this med is only having an adverse effect on me and is offering nothing for relief of pain. To top it off I think the med has been altered so much that not only is it giving absolutely no pain relief it’s hurting me as well. I’m even beginning to have kidney problems and I’ve only been on the new meds for 1 week. I will not take anymore of this poison. I am going to be made to suffer not only through the pain but the withdrawl as well. What the hell is Perdue thinking??
It’s not just a weaker forular, it seems complely different just the oppisite of what I’ve benefited from in the past .
What can I do to help me through this transition. I have so much to do but can’t funtion in this condition.

December 15, 2010 at 7:19 pm
(43) Shirley Sherman says:

I have been taking OxyContin for a number of year’s, my Dr. had just changed from 2 80′s a day to 3 60′s a day, this was great, FINALLY got every thing to where I could deal pretty well, I have A LOT of chronic medical condition’s and I was doing well for about 3 month’s, then Perdue changed to the new one’s, THEY DO NOT WORK AND I FEEL AS I AM BACK RIGHT WHERE I STARTED FROM JUST AS FAST AS I WAS FINALLY DOING A LOT BETTER. I went into my Doctor thinking he would understand, he always has before but this time I might as well have been talking to a wall. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ! just as fast as I finally got to live, or at least on the way to a 1/2 way normal life, then the rug was pulled out from under me again. I can not do what I was finally able to, now I can not even able to play with my 6 grandchildren. WHAT NOW !!! IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME SOME IDEA’S, I COULD NOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH IT WOULD TO ME. I do not know if he is just not willing to try to help, did not want to help, which I have NEVER had that problem before, but I need help, I want to be able to at least play with my 6 grandchildren. I have NEVER abused ANYTHING I have been given, but I need help in the worst way. He did offer to get me in to a pain management Doctor, which I have been to 2 of them and they treat you like some kind of junkie,WHICH IS THE VERY LAST THING I AM. I just want to be able to live with out all the pain, don’t get me wrong, I was NEVER out of pain completely, but at least I did not have to have some one help me get out of a bath tub after I finally got the 3, 60mg’s a day. Now I either sit in a chair all day, or lay in the bed because that’s about all I can do now. I read where everyone should ban to gather to get the old one’s back and I would be the first in line, but I don’t know where to start to even do that. please free feel to contact me if you have any idea’s? thank you for your time and for listing, seem’s no one else want’s to. shirleyshermanziepfel@gmail.com.

December 15, 2010 at 8:13 pm
(44) Shirley Sherman says:

I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND SOME ONE THAT MAY BE ABLE TO AT LEAST HEAR US FOR THOSE PEOPLE THEY ARE HURTING THE MOST, THE PEOPLE THAT REALLY NEED THE OLD OXYCONTIN.

CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER: MIHAEL FRIEDMAN
WEB SITE: http://www.purduepharma.com

what I want to know is when they are going to make whiskey and beer illigal? that is ALot worse in killing not only their selves but small babies and children just going to the store? I GUESS THAT’S OKAY AND EVEN LEGAL. BUT THE PEOPLE THAT REALLY NEED A PILL THAT WILL HELP THEM, AND NOT BOTHER OTHERS HAVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY. MAN DOES THAT MAKE A LOT OF SENSE OR WHAT? If the junkies want to kill them selves, that is their problem, not the people that really need this medicine to live at least a 1/2 way normal life. I think we should ALL swamp his p.c. with e-mail’s so MAYBE, JUST MAYBE he will bring the old back or at least tell us what we can do. It cost me $1,084.00 for something that does not work not even 1/2 as well as it did. and they are making such a profit on this, it is not even funny. There HAS to be some thing to take it’s place, and before it is over some one will find out what it is. I have never abused any thing in my life, and now when I found some thing that DID help, they take it away.

December 19, 2010 at 1:56 am
(45) Nathan says:

To John and Katherine, I’m sorry to say, but oxycontin is not heroin. Heroin is diacetylmorphine, and oxycontin is just oxycodone. So heroin is a lot stronger than oxycodone.The only thing closest to heroin for junkies is dilaudid when shot up. Or opana’s.

December 19, 2010 at 3:39 pm
(46) dilho says:

why do people want to get a high off oxycodone = oxycotin ? The medication is made for pain . If someone wants to get high, smoke some dope and drink some beer! All the addicts in this world make it hard for people that need this med for pain because doctor’s think, If I write it out for this patient is he / she going to abuse it or take it for pain?

December 27, 2010 at 3:22 pm
(47) Chris says:

I have been using oxycontin as prescribed for about 3 years. I’ve gotten up to 320mg per day 4 x 80. I have cut back to 3 x 80, every 8 hours. Now I get the new version and it hits me hard first 4 hours then feel bad last 4 hours. Washington state now doesn’t want chronic pain taken care of with opiates. That is one thing for new patients, but for those of us hooked, what are we to do? I am on disability for income and have injured federal workers insurance paying for dr and medicine. The doctors who could help me get off this stuff only want cash. I’m supposed to get a pain consult and find a lab in my area as dr is over 100 miles away. (used to live there). The injured workers insurance paid to get me hooked but it looks like I have to withdrawal all the way by myself since I can’t afford a good treatment. I tried to do the withdrawal when taking 4 x 40 per day and that was miserable. Can’t imagine what it will be like now. It seems like Purdue should at least be responsible to pay for people getting off the drug since they lied to the doctors about how good the medication was. I’ve known my doctor for 34 years and he has always been great. He told me about this wonderful medication several years ago then it wasn’t so wonderful anymore. He even got qualified to prescribe suboxone which i understand is the only real way off but the hospital he works under won’t let him start people on it, only prescribe to those already on it. Basically, since I don’t have money, I will have to suffer greatly.

December 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm
(48) ..oc says:

I think either way they try to make the pill safer ppl r still ppl going to abuse if not these safer oc /op or something harder due to there addition ppl r still wanting to get high now probably off of heroin which now is worse ..

January 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm
(49) Misty says:

Just an update. After Purdue changed their oxycontin to the new poisonous formula, I have suffered unimaginable health complications coupleled with withdrawls after being on the old oxycontin for several years. My dr. has been extremely helpful in working with me to offer me something close to the pain relief I was getting with oxycontin before (the change). He put me on Methodone first, I didn’t tolerate it, next he tried, Fentynol patch but that two gave me the shakes and nausea, lastly he put me on opanas, I finally feel a little pain relief but it doesn’t at all give me the energy and overall feeling of well-being I am use to getting with oxycontins. I don’t understand why so many people think Opanas are so strong, I get absolutely no “buzz” and only minimal pain relief. It looks like now, after 30 days, I’ve finally made the switch from Oxycontins to Opanas. It was hell, but it can be done. I also want to mention that I didn’t feel the harsh effects of withdrawls while taking the Opanas, so this might be something for those of you who are in the same boat to consider. Good Luck.

January 20, 2011 at 8:08 pm
(50) Doug Funny says:

I find it strange that a so called nurse would say oxycontin is heroin. While they are both in the same class of drugs there are differences. Mainly that they are formulated from different regions of the poppy plant. For those of you complaining about OP’s, there is definately a solution.

Tell your doctor the meds are not helping with the pain. Don’t tell him you’re puking and sick, that’s withdrawals not a result of the new medicine formula in oxycontin. Since the pills are even more ER, you’re not getting the level of oxycodone you’re body is used to, hence withdrawals. So if you’re really in pain and it’s not the addiction, tell him that and he’ll probably perscribe you roxicodone. You’ll have to take more pills since they’re only 30 mg but it’s oxycodone IR(instant relief). I feel for all of you, this drug is a terrible thing, but it is possible to quit it, although cold turkey is really the only way.

People will say no!no! I quit using suboxone. Bullplop. Subs are a drug too, you’re just changing vices. In fact, many users are terrified as they can’t quit the subs after two years. The problem is if you use them over a week you will become addicted to the suboxone, which has a longer half-life=longer withdrawals!

So to those in true pain, get the roxicodone. But take a good look at yourself, are you still in pain, or does the addiction tell you you’re in pain? Withdrawal from oxycodone results in sore, achy muscles. And by achy I mean a healthy fit person will barely be able to get out of bed, puking all over the place, runny nose, constant bowel movements(liquid), and feel like a 90 year old! Please be honest with yourself, it could save your life

January 26, 2011 at 10:55 pm
(51) E says:

THIS NEW PILL SUCKS BIG TIME. THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT IT. NOW IT DOES NOTHING FOR THE PAIN AND ITS COST ARE TREMNDOUS. WELL HERE IS THE CONTACT INFORMATION FOR PURDUE. IF WE ALL STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT THEN WE WILL GET THE OLD PILL BACK AND WILL BE SOMEWHAT PAIN FREE.

Should you have
any questions regarding OxyContin, please call our Medical Services Department at
1-888-726-7535.

EVERYONE USE THIS INFORMATION IF ENOUGH OF US GET TOGETHER AND COMPLAIN THEY WILL BE FORCED TO CHANGE IT BACK. THATS BUSINESS 101 CAUSE THEY MAKE DRUGS TO MAKE MONEY AND NO OTHER REASON IF SALES DROP THEY WILL HAVE TO CHANGE.

February 26, 2011 at 11:47 pm
(52) darren says:

when the new oxycontin came out i stopped using it and turned to a different pain medication.if purdu wants to take away a good thing i will protest by not spending money with them.the new controled release doesnt work for my kind of pain.and the kids who died off it made a choice.they could have bought street drugs but its up to the parents.if they didnt control their pain meds and keep them away from their kids and they died.its not purdus problum,its bad parenting.and bad parent skills.it was under the patients contol not the teenagers.now because of a few kids overdosing i have to suffer.thanks.

March 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm
(53) sacha says:

I have 3 lumbar herniations (L3 thru S1) and dessication in lower spine (diagnosed 2 mos ago) and cracked sacrum (july 2010) and joint pain from sjogrens disease (onset 2009). I have tried several low pain meds over last year. Vicodin made me feel like an addict like I was coming down off coke (which I tried a few times when younger). Switched me to oxy 5, then with recent herniations to oxy 10. Also on Mobic for inflamation and Skelaxin (muscle relaxant). I take Celexa for anxiety. I ran out a week early of the oxycodone. Dr. put m eon Oxycontin10 with Oxycodone for breakthrough pain. (Dr.s being very conservative and will not talk shots or surgery until after 2 mos of PT, meanwhile, I am on a rollator walker and a wheelchair when i to mall or cultural events and was athletic in my late 20′s 2 years ago). So I usually take as rx’d, but occassionally, I get sick of being in pain and I am on short term disability through employment insurance and medical leave from college so just sometimes i get sick of being in subdued pain and bored will occassionally take an extra 1/2 pill to make pain totally go away and, I admit it, for that slight buzz that accompanies it because I want to feel good sometimes. But now I am given the oxycontin 10 which I thought was supposed to be really strong, but did not seem to work better than regular oxycodone. I heard ppl crushed it to make it work faster. So this is my 2nd day, I am directed to take 2 a day, I tried to chew a little. It was seriously waxy but after chewing I know some of the powder was exposed. That was 30 min ago. I don’t feel buzzed or anything, and my pain doesnt seem more subdued on the oxycontin so far. I may try cutting it but my pill cutter is a smooth blade. I was afraid to chew it cus I thought it woudl be too strong like I couldnt control the strength but really it’s not impressive, I’m better of taking oxycodone or vicodin 5′s for breakthrough pain.

April 20, 2011 at 3:40 pm
(54) guest says:

I now am very frightened over everything i have read and heard about the new op’s. I do have serious question’s about the safety but there is no one to ask or know’s the answer’s. It appear’s the jel from op adhere’s to stomach/intestine thus the bad stomach pain. Since the jelled op sit’s in stomach for long period’s won’t it interfere with other med’s one must take such as blood pressure med’s.. diabeteic drug’s..cancer drug’s. Won’t the jell in op’s leach these med’s as well? What if these op’s adhere to intestinal? When one takes 4 op’s a day what will keep them from staying in your sytem building up? And if it’s true that many of these will not disolve in system..isn’t there a chance that lets say one takes for 10 days their op’s.they all stick in intestine..and do not disolve properly..at some pt. through a certain food item or drink they then let go of their oxycodone..and one overdoses. The trial’s conducted took a opiate naive and gave him/her one pill. 6 days later another pill was given..that was purdue’s trial. My goodness this is unbeleivable. If i die or serious serious effects from these i will sue everything purdue is worth.

April 21, 2011 at 11:37 pm
(55) OXy pro says:

I just tryed snorting/shouting an oxy just aint the same but I feel it I guess??

May 24, 2011 at 6:10 am
(56) erika says:

my ex boyfriend was an oxy snorter for over 4 yrs until they changed the pill. he then decided to bang heroin. i found him dead 12 weeks and 4 days ago. opiates are the devil.

June 15, 2011 at 5:44 am
(57) Voice of reason says:

If you die, you plan on filing a lawsuit against Purdue? Sounds like you are high off something. OC’s=Oxicodone, if you arent getting pain relief from the new OP’s, then ask your doctor about roxicodone(stongest they come in is 30mg) they are also Oxicodone. No amount of crying will bring back a product that cost Purdue over half a BILLION dollars in the settlement, NO CHANCE! Dont confuse them with Roxicet, which will have Acetaminophin too. So while you will have to take a few more pills for your pain, you will be able to function normally again. Oxicodone no matter what pharma company is producing it is the same! Some people dont take well to it and may have to use another med, such as Opana. Oxicodone does wonders for me, while Opana make me nautious and useless. A friend of mine is the complete opposite with Opanas, help her tremedously and Oxicodone completely halts her daily activities. So if OC’s worked for you, so will Roxicodone, they are the SAME. Good luck and i hope you all can gain back the quality of life that we all deserve.

June 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm
(58) Slider says:

As an olb abuser i was shocked when someone gave me the new pill I called it crypto niite I could not crush this thing with anything i could barely cut in half . The for the poor souls that are abusing it like i did for two years are screwed. I was watching a tv show called Intervention the other night Some young girl found a way to get around it. She skimmed it then smoked it with tin foil . Of course it scorched her lungs and she is 22 and has to use an inhaler now to breathe already . She called it black tar Its a tough call I think millions will go to the street Or maybe now try and detox on Sub oxone and try to save them selves. They still make 5 gs that can be crushed and snorted i think . But after what after happened in Long Island fathers day maybe they will yank them all together like they did with Quaaludes. Other wise It will be percs an heroin for a lot of abusers

July 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm
(59) guest says:

lol..i just reread my comment about ‘should i die i will sue Purdue big time..lol..i can see why one post thought i was ‘high’. What i meant was should i die from purdue’s latest atrocity than my family will sue and they will get rich. And sir.one can not get high off of the new op’s.
I did get answer’s to a few of my quesion’s, reader’s and you may be interested..Beware if you are taking the new op’s as well as other med’s(blood pressure,heart med’s, diabete’s drug’s) The gel in oxycontin purdue ‘leaches’ all other med’s one takes making them time released and become usless.If you have a spare op..take a glass of water..drop an op in it..as well as your blood pressure med’s. Let it sit and disolve..you will see all med’s bind to the op’s. The FDA also wrote this up but took down their web page almost as soon as they put it up.
A purdue sales rep also spilled the bean’s on this.
As for the new op’s clogging up one’s intestinal tract..yes this has been reported..many have been hospitalised for this and can be dangerous. In fact purdue has been hit with various lawsuit’s.

July 20, 2011 at 6:55 am
(60) Coreen says:

Can’t imagine planning my days around drugs or alcohol. I have had double hernia surgery – took EX Tylenol after surgery. Both shoulders repaired – took Tylenol! Sure you have pain but ice the area – life is a lot better when you are on top of your game.

July 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm
(61) Donal O Beachain says:

I don’t care. My doctor prescribes 20 mg twice a day. If I run short, too bad. If they “go down the toilet” too bad. If I sell them, which I wouldn’t since I need them for chronic pain, he’d have me thrown in gaol.

I am one of the very few patiets to which he will prescribe narcotics. We trust each other. Most, he sends to a pain clinic and lets them worry about it. Since I can’t drive, that isn’t an opinion for me.

August 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm
(62) MissTT says:

I have daily pain from head/back/neck injuries. After 7 years of trying every med and treatment I ended up spending the last 2 living in a bedroom. I finally began the OCs and was given back my life. Then the formula changed: Initially, I didn’t notice the pills were different visually, as my caregiver who puts them in a pillbox for me. But hours after taking them I experienced withdrawels, increased pain, gastro pain and nauseau, heart palpitations… I called my pharmacist thinking I had received a ‘bad batch’ & was told about the OPs. A website suggested I report to Purdue–which I did.
The last 8 months I have had a serious health decline:Urinary problems (which I never had previously) including constant pain and feeling like I have to urgently ‘go’ 24-7, & gastrointestinal problems, keeping me too ill to move from my couch most of the year. After visits to specialists (plural), meds and treatments, my doctors are at a loss. They say my urinary and GI tracts are having some type of inflammatory response. I racked my brain to figure out what could have caused my whole system to go so haywire around the first of the year….oH yeh!!–what about the OPs?!
So, I went off my OPs (I take 2-80mg tabs every 8 hours) and took some old OPs I had stashed/saved for a “rainy day”. Miraculously, my bladder and GI symptoms have dissappeared!!! I changed nothing else and it is no less than miraculous. These problems may have hit me faster/harder since I take a high dose of OPs, but may happen to others down the road. Hopefully you can figure it out faster than I did!

September 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm
(63) YoungoneinPain! says:

I am 28 years old and I have scoliosis and chronic back pain issues. My doctor refuses to even perscribe me oxycontin so for those of you who are lucky enough to have something that halfway helps be happy.
STUPID addicts are the ones who make it hard for those of us who live in absolute pain day in and out!!!! Ive read some pretty logical comments here and some absolutely REDICULOUS comments here..
If you are perscribed OC why are you snorting it? I mean seriously? If you are really in pain you shouldnt want to be “high” on your meds…….
I am in alot of pain today so a friend gave me one of the new OP pills and it worked for me. I usually take methadone for my pain. Ive never abused anything. I do agree that it took a little while to work, but it works non the less. Everyones body chemistry works differently and doctors are only trying to keep people alive and non addicts. This is all a huge ordeal and it really sucks that something that works has to be changed for those of whom it works for.
For the addicts that are leaving comments.. you should just go to heroin if you dont have pain.. be the junky that you obviously are!

September 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm
(64) alhah says:

to teibbletimmy,
dude you cant be taking oc just for your knee. look at how you talked about like oh i feel great and happy good mood and how your nose is itching, if your only taking these for the pain you sure dont sound like it at all. you sound like me when i was getting loaded. your justifying. your knee was barely mentioned your more concerned about your mood and your nose itching . go to rehab dude

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm
(65) phil says:

the reason why all of your are throwing up and soooooo sick just days after switchting is because your withdrawling from a stronger dose

September 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm
(66) nina says:

Just want to voice my opinion about the new oxycontins. First of all I have never abused this drug nor have I ever caught a buzz off them, I agree with trying to control the abuse of pills, but I think the new op’s do not work as well as the old oc’s, I have noticed the 40′s I am prescribed every 8 hours are only lasting about 6 hours, so when it’s time for my next dose I am behind my pain and miserable and can’t seem to catch it. I don’t know what to, try to find the old ones and buy them illigally, come on , that’s not me. I am very dissapointed and upset that because of the abusers I can’t fight my ligitiment pain. Thanks alot

October 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm
(67) Nicholas says:

I fell 45 feet in the military & shattered y spine in 200+ pieces six years ago. I was 23 at the time. After walking up for the coma & learning how to walk all over again I have had multiple follow up surgeries on my back. I became addicted to the 80mg oxycontin I was LEGALLY prescribed to take 3 times a day & started to crush & eat them. 4 years ago I made the right decision to get my sh*t together, clean up & go to rehab. I still have major pain issues that get worse everyday & I find myself struggling to keep from having to take narcotic pain meds on a regular basis. But on those days I have to take “REAL” pain medication I am glad it is the new OP’s that I cannot abuse. The argument that the new formula will cause druggies to turn to straight heroin is a ludicrous one!! You are a drug addict, abusing pain medication. Stop blaming others for your own self inflicted problems. No reasonable person feels sorry that you have to switch your drug of choice b/c a company made its medications safer & harder for you to abuse. WOW.

October 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm
(68) Annoymous says:

I think Nicholas pretty much just summed it up. If you turn to heroin, you’re choosing one of two paths…Being an addict doesn’t make you exempt from being able to make a choice. It certainly is a strong influence, but ultimately you make that choice at the end of the day. I’ve been an addict my whole life, and I’ve had to “clean up” for a year or two at a time, because of being on probation and whatnot. I’m not saying it’s easy, or that everyone is capable, I know that most addicts are not. But if you feel like there’s a gun put to your head, beause you can’t get your OC’s the way you want them, then there are definetly less extreme options than shooting up on heroin. Try to wean yourself down to something less strong, or use this as an oppertunity to get clean. Telling yourself “Oh well, guess I gotta start using heroin…” is your addiction talking. That’s not common sense.

November 23, 2011 at 4:02 pm
(69) OC hater says:

You all can quit!!! I did! And I feel better than ever! F@$% Oxycotin! I don’t have to worry about being sick anymore! Paying $1000 a month!! I have a solution for all of you on how to quit!!!! Quit putting them in your mouth! I need you all to realize that you end up hurting yourself, and over extending your muscles when you are numb off of the original O.C. The new OPs are a pointless waist of time. it sounds like everybody ends up with stomach problems, and go through withdrawls anyways. Please listen to me. I took 3x80s a day. And I felt trapped, just like everyone else does/did. I still have pain, but I take 3 Advil in the morning. and it works just fine.

January 15, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(70) LJ says:

Yeah. Just so you know it is still very possible to abuse these. Epic FAIL.

January 27, 2012 at 3:29 pm
(71) Andy says:

What ever happened to personal responsibility? Sounds like the new formula is less effective. I would be irate if I was prescribed this medication. The company changes the formula to help the junkies quit abusing them while neglecting the normal users’ pain issues. Why help out weak-willed, self-destructive people at the expence of those in severe cronic pain?

This situation is very similar to alcohol prohibition during the 1920s and early 1930s. We all know how effective that was in discouraging abuse. Their illogic goes like this: ‘Some people are too stupid or weak to help themselves. We must ban this substance to help those people.’ They neglect to address responsible users’ right to freedom. Policing someone’s personal choices reguarding their own body is very dangerous slippery slope. What’s next? Should we force fast food chains to change their ingredients to discourage overeating?

We must support freedom and encourage personal responsibility. Let all adults have total control over their own body. It’s the American thing to do. It is the right thing to do.

February 6, 2012 at 8:07 pm
(72) Daniel Buxton says:

I think most people on these oxy threads are so ridiculous. LIKE COME ON PEOPLE, ADMIT THAT YOU ARE TAKING IT FOR RECREATIONAL USE. I know full well that so many people actually need this medication to get by in their day to daay lifestyles, and for those sick people, mostly cancer patients and extremely debilitated patients that suffer from MS, Fibromayalgia(sp?), or any major car wrecks, this drug is a GODSEND. But then you have sad little people who say things like:

“I take them daily for a bad knee and don’t have coverage to see a doc to get a script. Now the new ones hit the street and here’s what I have to say about them. They aren’t THAT BAD!! I was scared like really scared I wasn’t going to get my lil buzz of happiness which I consider normal.”

February 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm
(73) Daniel Buxton says:

Like SERIOUSLY, get over yourself, admit that you are taking these pills to battle your depression or anxiety, stop making lame excuses about “oh my knee hurts, but I hope i still get that crazy buzz of happiness which i consider NORMAL”.

BECAUSE It is NOT normal. Taking any type of medication to help you live your life is not normal. Normal is living a healthy lifestyle and eating healthy and regulating all your major bodily functions. The only reason i am stating this is because I myself AM AN EX OXYCONTIN addict. I was taking 40-120 mg a day for 6 years. I had no reason for this except my depression and my other habits. And I am realizing how many people lie so much about their “conditions” just to justify getting high off of pain meds. I am saying this out of worry. YOU MUST CONFRONT YOUR DEMONS AND BE HONEST ABOUT YOUR DRUG CONSUMPTION. That will be the only path to helping yourself. Stop coming on these boards and threads with all your lies about “I take them for pain, my back hurts a little in the morning”. Just suck up that little bit of pain and suck up your pride, because you are only admitting that you are ashamed of what you are doing. There are people in far worse off conditions than you are that are seriously in pain, so don’t come here saying how you take it for mild pain, you know YOU JUST WANNA GET HIGH. Confront your demons, and strip away the lies. Only then you will get a glimpse of the true essential underlying factor of your habits and addictions to opioids. I know I sound enraged, I am not, I am just tired of reading all these BS excuses, dont kid yourself people. Be honest, don’t be ashamed. You need help, and you can get off these pills if you really want to start opening up about why you’re really doing these things.

Peace, love, and all the above.

DB

February 14, 2012 at 7:30 pm
(74) Karen says:

this is going to be crappy..i have chronic pancreatitus and diverticulitus i am sick to my stomach ALL the time already..i live on gravol,most days..so hearing it makes u feel so sick,im not looking forward to being even sicker..i do not abuse my pills,and really dont want to up my dose..this is not fare to ppl who need them for legitimate reasons..
TO SEANDON:im not a junkie,im in PAIN all the time..no one shall judge but the man above..i think more like ur ignorant..

February 19, 2012 at 1:42 am
(75) formeroxyaddict says:

As a former addict mislead by the doctor after having knee surgery, I find this attempt to be a step in the right direction. You can’t snort gelatin off of a mirror. I have older friend between the ages of 45 to 60 that use it as prescribed and otherwise would not be able to preform their duties at work. These are people who need the drug people with severe chronic pain and will suffer because of others abuse. There was no reason for a doctor to send me home with 1600mgs of this horrible stuff. I thought it was safe and was not explained that it was an addictive substance, Dr.’s orders right? WRONG I strongly urge people to do a little reading up on meds you are provided from the local “doctor”. Did you know if they prescribe a certain amount of a certain drug they are rewarded with bonuses and things like trips to luxurious places??? All business.

February 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(76) steve says:

i live in canada and this new pill hits shelfs at the end of this month..HAHA but for all those snorters out there,there is a way to cook the new gel pill to make it sniffable again 100 % effctive..step 1:shave or grind the capsul into a fine powder step 2 place on a microwave safe plate and cook in microwave on high for 6 to 7 mins watching it very carefully step 3 when most of the power has gone a browey colour take a razor and cop it up..step 4 place in freezer or fridge till cooled..step 5 wipe condensation carfully step 5 chop up and snort….ENJOY !!!

March 13, 2012 at 10:16 am
(77) doctorless says:

i can feel for a lot of the people who have voiced their concerns above.some of you should be very happy you have a doctor.here in canada there is a shortage of doctors.without a doctor you cant recieve narcotics.without a doctor you cant get a referral to a specialist
i initially hurt my back over 12 yrs. ago and have lived in constant pain ever since.a trip to the local hospital saw me sat in emergency dept. for 8 hrs.the admitting nurse said if you are in pain you must be here for drugs,basically accusing me of being an addict.then proceeded to tell me if i wanted to be treated i would have to submit to a urine test.all this time just preventing me from getting the help i needed.the emerg. doc sent me for x-rays and a ct scan,and after reviewing both said that i needed an m.r.i. ,but didnt send me for one.this left me curious as to why and then someone told me how it works.doc’s are paid for their services wether for treatment or referrals.in order to get a referral it has to be from your family doctor.no fam doc ,no referral.the emerg. doc could have sent me but he wasnt going to be paid for sending me ,so he didnt .he then told me i had some soft tissue damage and to go home and rest a few weeks and i’d be fine.a recent x-ray shows seperated vertabrae,bone spur and arthritis now setting in around the injury area.due to his laziness and general disconcern over my condition i now suffer greatly every day.just hope the u.s. does not switch to socialized medicine, i urge everyone of you to fight this switch ,trust me the only people who will benefit from this is doctors and drug companies.it is my understanding that here in cda. doctors only recieve about 2 hrs of instruction on pain management the whole way through their studies on their way to becoming doctors.almost every bit of knowledge they recieve is from drug comapnies whose only interest is profits.

March 21, 2012 at 9:23 am
(78) non drug user says:

All u abusers out there, you guys shouldn’t be giving each other advise on how to get high with the new pills. You guys are not even acknowledging what these legitimate people with actual pain are saying. They use the medication bc they need it not bc it makes them feel high and clouds the reality of life for them. These people are in serious pain due to injury etc. You junkies are just doing it bc you are all fools! Playing Russian Roulette with your lifes!

March 21, 2012 at 9:26 am
(79) PS says:

Steve u are a moron for encouraging this drug to abusers , your a $%$#ing menace to society you and all the other drug abusers.People with legitimate problems I can see using this prescription drug but not guys like you who want to act like fools and just get high! Get a life !

April 9, 2012 at 9:11 pm
(80) tard says:

Its not cuz they openly said they abused them its cuz the website oxycotin express, where they all video recoreded themselves smoking, sniffing, and shooting them up. Also they decided it was a good idea to video themselves in FL going into doctor offices getting 5000 pils a month, so really i blame them

April 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm
(81) stiff says:

U people who wanna tlk sh*t about addicts r so stupid bc guess where the addicts get there pills ?from the people who r n pain&get a real script& those people rather make the $ from the adddicts even tho they still r n pain.so the “legit” people n pain wined up being the drug dealers who provide for addict

June 1, 2012 at 9:14 am
(82) Earl says:

I have chronic pancratitis (burned out pancreas) from a 2002 gallbladder surgery where my panaceas bile duct was clipped and left to leak bile in my abdomen for 2 days. finally they found the leak. 10 years later my pancreas is failing and very fast. I cannot different food so I take creon dr. This new Oxycontin is not as effective and I think because of my problem doesn’t digest. I tried to cut with wire cutters after reading stories online and found it to be like a rubber I could pinch into a disk, bend and doesn’t melt with hot water. (what are the idiots) at Purdue thinking about a human body’s ability to absorb these new pills. With my lack of digestive enzymes I’m out of a drug that managed my pain and didn’t cause my gastritis to flare up like percoet causes. I argued with the pharmacist as I didn’t notice this problem until I returned from PI where they don’t have these new idiotically reformulated pill for people who live in a body they want to crawl out of the pain is so overwhelming. There should be a old formula available for people with chronic pancratitis.

June 30, 2012 at 3:27 am
(83) christina says:

this message is for amy. her message was up further on the page. listen amy you sat here and called someone dumb for saying something about oxys and herion. now its my turn to call you dumby. WHICH AMY IS ACTUALLY LOW CLASS. LETS EDUCATE EACH OTHER WITH CORRECT INFO, AND NEVER CALLED SOMEONE ELSE NAMES, LIKE DUMBY. YOU MADE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE A FIFTH GRADER. first i use to work for a pharma. company. i will not waste my time explaining to someone like you what i studied to be. what i use to do, or the dozens of papers i have written. but i will tell you this……. yes oxy are classified as an opiate since you think you know what you are talking about great bravo but smarty when it is in your system now let me explain this with simple words,,,,, they “become” (the genetic makeup) morphine. everything oxy morphine diludid all act like herion in our bodies. the gentic make up in oxy is exactly herion is nature….. like weed. oxy is a pharm. duplicating the make up of herion in a lab.( a synthetic form of herion) i guess you could THINK you are right but NO not really. when you pop a oxy our body would never now the difference between the two. BETWEEN OXY AND HERION. do some research and make dam sure yhou know what you are talking about before you try to humiliate someone. call names and whatever else gets you off. my advice get off on helping people kindly, karma.

July 7, 2012 at 7:38 am
(84) jackie says:

Can someone please help me. I don’t understand, I take 30mg of oxycodone. I take it every 4 hrs. I need a hip repacement and I have neck and back issues. So my dr gave me oxycontin for at night to take before I go to sleep. He told me oxycontin and oxycodone are the same. But the oxycontin gives me a bad reaction. My heart pounds out of my chest and I get sick. I wondering if this is all in my head because you always here of people dying because of prescription pills. But why if they are the same, why does it do this to me. I’m scared to take them anymore.

January 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm
(85) starcraftV says:

I now get the new OPs in 60 mg. I cut them up into little pieces and swallow them to gert high and it works good.
some times i put the little chunks in lemon juice, coke a cola or a little vinager (high Ph) to dissolve it ( for about a half hour or longer) and then just drink it down with a chaser and it gets into you system faster! which means good buzz! I was a former herion addict and now it keeps me from wanting to buy herion. and I dont have to stick a needle in my arm.

March 18, 2013 at 12:56 am
(86) Jamie says:

F@@@ a damn oxy !!!! My brother over dosed by accident on oxy 80z. If u take them ur a damn fool!!

April 4, 2013 at 10:34 am
(87) Grandma says:

You people are sad if all you want is to get high. I’ve been on OC for 16 years & the new ones work just as good as the old ones. Then I use them for my chronic pain not to get high. If that’s the kind of life you want just buy street drugs & stop messing things up for those of us who really need them so we can live our life’s & play with our grand kids . I im able too go shopping for my self & able to have my 3 year old grand kids come & stay days at a time. So stop messing it up for those people who need it .

April 13, 2013 at 11:07 pm
(88) http://Tinyurl.com/cnnchely51375 says:

_New OxyContin Pill Harder to Abuse?_ definitely causes myself contemplate a tiny bit extra.
I really admired every single section of this post. Thanks a lot ,Grover

May 21, 2013 at 12:25 am
(89) Samantha says:

I have nothing good or bad to say about the formula, but I do have to say shame on some of you for speaking about addicts like they are a cockroach society needs to step on. I am a recovering addict that has been clean for over 3 years now and I have to live with the fact that I can’t ever say I’m “normal” just like an alcoholic can’t, I will always be an addict no matter how many years pass since my last use. I don’t mean to sound all knowing or mean, but a good amount of people that relapse did it because even trying to get better, less disappointing to their loved ones, will always have to carry their past around for their lives and people still treat them like they are the same person that they were high every day. Addiction is a disease. That’s all, thank you for taking the time to read my comment. I hope it helps someone that isn’t clean get the courage to do so, and other fellow recovering addicts.

August 4, 2013 at 10:16 pm
(90) Corey says:

I have cystinuria genetic ressessive kidney desease that makes me for cystine kidney stones. I had my first one at 21 and then at 30 non stop now for two years. I am treated like a drug seeker but I will admit I do like the buzz. But I believe it is my body and my home and if I take extra and feel better and sleep better so be it. By making it so regulated is what makes the problems. Honestly whocares why you take it if you are responsible. America is becoming such a nanny state.