1. Health

Buddy T

Warnings Issued About 'Fake Cocaine' Bath Salts

By January 26, 2011

If someone you know has suddenly shown an interest in off-brand bath salts with names like "Ivory Wave," you might want to take a closer look. Young people are using the white-powder as fake cocaine and many of them are ending up in emergency rooms and mental hospitals.

The products have already been banned in the U.K. and several states are taking steps to ban the products in the United States.

Some of these products have been found to contain methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV), a central nervous system stimulant. MDPV has not been approved for medical use in the U.S. Its use was banned in Britain in April 2010.

States Taking Action on Fake Cocaine

Gov. Bobby Jindal issued an emergency ruling to add MDPV to the Louisiana Controlled Dangerous Substance Act, making it illegal to possess, manufacture or distribute products contain the drug in the state. North Dakota and Kentucky have also made moves to ban the drug.

The product is sold under names like "Ivory Wave," "Bliss," "Blue Silk," "Charge Plus," "White Lightening," and "Cloud 9." A one-half gram package of the bath salts are sold for around $25 to $30.

The Department of Justice said the bath salts are being sold in the same stores that sold fake marijuana products. The DOJ called the increase in use of MDPV by young people "alarming."

The Health Effects of Fake Cocaine

U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration officials said MDPV can cause paranoia, chest pains, and irregular heartbeats. In Scotland, where more than 20 teens were hospitalized after snorting the bath salts, health officials said the fake cocaine can cause kidney failure, seizures, muscle damage and loss of bowel control.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported receiving 232 calls about the products during 2010, most of those calls coming from Louisiana.

The products are made in China.

"It makes people lose touch with reality," said Dr. Cynthia Lewis-Younger, of the Florida Poison Information Center. "They're ending up in psychiatric institutions."

News Source: The Sun Sentinel. Bath Salts Misused as 'Fake Cocaine' Send Users to Hospitals. Jan. 18, 2011.

Related Information:

Photo: © Getty Images
Comments
January 26, 2011 at 7:53 am
(1) sarahfnm says:

Thanks for this information. It’s important for parents, teachers, and any adults who work with kids to be up-to-date with this type of knowlege.

January 31, 2011 at 12:32 pm
(2) Cheryl says:

I know what this can do to someone, first-hand. My nephew started “experimenting” with this stuff and let me tell you, HE TURNED INTO A MONSTER! I don’t know what’s in that stuff but I can tell you that it DOES cause VIOLENT outbursts, paranoia and sleeplessness, just like cocaine. And, if they do cocaine on top of it, it’s ten times worse!! PLEASE…the government SHOULD stop this before it gets OUT OF CONTROL!

February 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(3) Angel says:

I just had to take my friend to the hospital this morning because of this substance. He had been up fpr many days. And had 2 seizures in a row.. It is identical to Meth. Parents talk with your kids

February 24, 2011 at 10:19 am
(4) Roxy says:

I totally agree. These products need to be banned immediately. I had a friend who was on this, and he looked like he had been poisoned. Hallucinating, paranoid. Like he was in the middle of a psychotic break. PLUS, if these salts get out there and kids on Spring Break try it, it will be a disaster. It raises the body temp while also causing vascular restriction in the limbs. It scares me to death because it is one strong drug and kids should not be anywhere near it, ever. I have told my kids what it is and if the subject is brought up among their peers, they are to let them know the absolute danger a person puts themself in if they experiment with bath salts. Everyone needs to educate themselves and others about it.

March 19, 2011 at 10:17 pm
(5) Leigha says:

My boyfriend has been addicted to this for months now. He just admitted that he needs help the other day. Right now we are dealing with his withdrawals from it and it’s the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. If anyone is doing this or knows someone who is doing this GET THEM HELP NOW. This is something that needs to be made ILLEGAL and taken off all the shelves of smokes shops, etc. If anyone has any advice for me on how to deal with this and the withdrawals besides on what I know already PLEASE let me know. He’s going to take classes in a week to get clean again but right now…there’s no words to describe this. :(

April 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(6) Brendan says:

I really have no idea how this drug is legal. I’ll admit I’ve tried it and found myself with pretty much every side-effect listed. Eventually it wore off, after two days, and I thanked God that it did.. Point being, I would recommend no one doing it.

May 17, 2011 at 4:53 pm
(7) gina says:

I just dont understand why people want to snort stuff up their nose. or Why people even consider making such things to get our friends family and children addicted too. Our government needs to do something about all of this!!!

July 15, 2011 at 5:15 am
(8) joshua says:

I’ll be honest with you all, i am high on it now. For all those that may be sceptical of it’s dangers, don’t be sceptical… be concerned. Consider this, would i be confessing this to complete strangers if i were not concerned myself. This is not a drug that is to be taken lightly. It takes the user to a personal utopia but at a cost. My symtoms include: restlesness (it’s 5 am right now), teeth grinding, paranoia and momentary phases of depression and I am not a depressed person. Maybe the high has also made me over dramatic but regardless, have decided to send out a public service announcement to express my concerns. This drug is dangerous and will become an increasing problem with it being so convienently available. Also, don’t be fooled into believing that banning the drug will resolve the problem. Georgia has banned bath salts and products alike and yet i purchased a “refomulated” version and it’s hazards are just as great.

August 15, 2011 at 9:32 am
(9) John says:

This stuff needs to be ellegle and should be looked at very seriusly my brouther is using it and it seems to have drove him completly nut it is the evel and how can I get him some help

September 4, 2011 at 4:21 am
(10) Shannon says:

I have to add this, obviously everyone on here is concerned about this “legal drug” and it’s side effects. For those that are thinking of trying it, or have tried it, please don’t do it. It’s not worth the risk. Just because you may do it a few times and you had no problems, the chemicals differ from package to package, as they are sprayed on. But more importantly, my nephew just list his fiancÚ, whom he was with for seven years on Thursday (9-1-11). She decided to try it on Monday morning, by 1:00 that afternoon she started having seizures. She was rushed by ambulance to the hospital where they had to medically induce a coma. Since they couldn’t stop the seizures. By Thursday, she was brain dead. It is NOT wirth it!

October 1, 2011 at 1:34 am
(11) annonomous says:

i tried the stuff it does give you a coke like high but when it starts to wear off you feel horrible i didnt really have any of the side effects listed here but i was anxious and super awake but then i puked for 2 days from the stuff and also had a weird dizzy light headed feeling for about a week and some chest pains but that may have been caused by the vomiting. just dont do it. if you gotta do drugs do something else cause that stuff was the worst.

October 4, 2011 at 10:56 pm
(12) Page says:

I got got donn doing it for three days all I can say it was no
Coke please guys don’t do this drung

October 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm
(13) stephani says:

I got on this site because i too am caught in the middle of this demon that takes good human beings and turns them into souless monsters. My fiance has been using bath salts about every 2 weeks since january. We have two kids and one on the way and i am totally at a loss on how to help him. Weve sought consouling but he needs more than that. It has taken our family and turned everything upside down. He tells me he needs help and im trying to do everything i can but i am physically and mentally exhausted. He just wont stop. I have never seen a person go from one extreme to another. This substance is something that takes people and rips out their soul leaving nothing but a physcoatic mess behind. Please if anyone has became addicted to this and has gotten sober please let me know how to do this carefully so my family and the love of my life can be free of this monster.

October 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(14) benji says:

I too tried this drug just last night and went thru all of the above symptoms. No sleep last night , and I know my friend is doing it alot. I did read someone is brain dead from the stuff. When the guy at the smoke shop said it was completely safe ! I am disgusted with these new products that somehow made it to our local stores! Who do I go to as far as submitting a formal complaint?

November 6, 2011 at 12:08 pm
(15) monster says:

I tried this product and ppl its not a good thing i havent slept for a day already dont try this it bad very bad

November 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm
(16) J. Doe says:

Wow me and a friend were thinking about trying this crap….but you can for sure count me out!!!

November 16, 2011 at 8:32 am
(17) Jaime says:

The high is absolutely amazing, but right now I’m trying to get off of it. I think I’m on day four of withdrawling, and it’s absolutely horrible. I haven’t been able to make myself go to school, I’ve got the worst shakes, I’m always exhausted but at the same time jumpy/on-edge.
I honestly wish I would have never touched the stuff. The high is nice for a minute, but definitely not worth ALL THIS. I’m trying to treat myself at home, but nobody else in the house really knows what’s going on, so this has been really tough.
I would just suggest nobody out there does this stuff. It’s mean and ugly and will make you severely depressed.

November 21, 2011 at 3:44 pm
(18) did it says:

Its the same price as the real stuff. Is real coke better for u?

November 22, 2011 at 1:19 am
(19) txgurl979 says:

a friend told me about this stuff.. I got some today. been using it since this morning & its midnight here now. I was curious. but after seeing I can’t go to sleep. earlier I was heading to work & I had a urge to start crying for no reason. suicidal thoughts crossed my mind also.
I say I’m gonna put it down & flush it. but it seems as if Im stalling. why idk.. I’m reading this and I hate I tried now. because my heart is racing.

November 29, 2011 at 3:30 am
(20) WildChild says:

I think people need to relax and stop ruining it for everyone. Focus on the illegal drug problem first.

December 24, 2011 at 11:14 am
(21) Mamare says:

Wow i never knew bath salts were bad for you. I always thought they were suppose to relax you.

December 24, 2011 at 11:18 am
(22) Ticklepants says:

Me either. I used these all the time when i wanted to relax in the tub. They felt so good on my skin, especially when exfoliating! But now everyone is saying it causes sleeplessness. I’ll have to switch to body gel or aloe.

December 24, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(23) Tywone says:

You idiot their talking about injecting bath salts.

January 1, 2012 at 12:32 am
(24) Kkron says:

I used to take this and all i can say is it’s addicting it makes u not want to eat and makes u talk alot. i acutally lost 10 pounds useing it but this is also becuse it gave me alot my energy and focus on what i was doing. but i will never do i again. this is something u whould only try once and leave it otherwise it will have bad consqunses. sorry for my spelling

January 20, 2012 at 1:32 am
(25) advice says:

To help with withdraw from bath salts you need an anxiolytic like lorazapam or alprazolam(xanax) go to your doctor tell them the problem they will probably help you. If not the ER will.

January 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm
(26) Bob says:

VERY BAD STUFF! My 25 year old was into it and went paranoid. Had to call the police to take him away. Was at the hospital for 5 days. Was crawling around the floor like a dog during day 2. Has been home 2 weeks and is still quite sick. Sleeps 20 hours a day and throw up when he is awake. I am very afraid he has permenant brain damage. It’s a shame he did not have the good sense to stay away from this stuff. I guess we all have ot live with the consenquences of our own decisions

February 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(27) very ashamed says:

I also tryed this stuff more than once i have never in my life ever felt the way I do today…I am a mom and also thought that this was just a simple wake you up with a little bit of energy kinda thing the first few times it seamed to do just that…but like somone said before it is never the same …. I hope i can one day be the person who i used to be ..my side affects are extream parinoia lost of apatite i once trusted most everyone and have not a singel sole i trust these daysi saw things others did not and trying to convence them to see it frusterated them andcaused them not to trust me i realize i am lucky for not having been the one to have had seazuers or brain damage but i did have to go to the hospital and spend almost the whole day feeling sorry stupid lost confused and very scared..i whould tell anyone to leave the stuff alone if you are going to do it or if you have. i am blessed i saw the light before it was to late thank jesus i did not loose my kids and i pray that these side effects will one day leave my body….dont think about flushing it ……flush it right away with no thought 8 hours later you will be thankfull you did and you will be able to see that its not easy…but its a lot easier than trying to do the suff…and pretend to be the person you where before you did it ..:/

February 20, 2012 at 7:13 pm
(28) mark says:

My son asked to go to the ER because he felt he was having a heart attack after smoking “legal bud” 16 years old

February 26, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(29) kira kucera says:

People use illegal drugs every day and there are side effects for all of them. people don;t know how to use the bath salts and they get greedy and abuse it. If they couldnt sell the bath salts anymore then ppl would do what they have always done. Get the real stuff! illegally!

March 18, 2012 at 12:11 am
(30) Niki says:

I agree THIS CRAP NEEDS TO BE BANNED! If you have ever seen anyone who has done it first hand you would agree. It is the most scariest thing to watch someone completely change. I would like more information out out there on how to get people off this stuff. It tears peoples life’s apart, watching a love one go insane is not fun!

March 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm
(31) colin says:

Yeah. I can say this stuff has scared me straight of all drugs.. all i can hope for is that i come out okay. I just went out to spring break in New Orleans. Thought I was getting MDMA from a buddy of my my friend I went out to see. Anyways we having a good time whatever seemed like a good high at first. But I think I ended up with this stuff. These symptoms sound spot on. The irregular heart beat is freaking me out. Its been over 36 hours. I think im gonna have to bite the bullet and go get seen by my doc.

March 26, 2012 at 9:38 pm
(32) Powerless2000 says:

My son had a heart attack the first time he tried this crap. Has had another since then that docs said was direct result of the bath salts. Was sold to him as cocaine. A dishonest drug dealer? Imagine that!~Wanna die give it a try!!!

May 4, 2012 at 11:14 am
(33) Teresa says:

I agree with all of you here. My husband has been a pot smoker for years. He started trying the synthetic pot then was talked into trying the “stuff”, needless to say I’ve been to hell and back during this period. He left for 4 days before I received a call from him asking me to pick him up. It’s indescribable how he was acting. He was a maniac, paranoid, hallucinating. He told me he seen our 4 year old on the side of the road crying and stopped his truck to find him. He remembers bits and pieces of the last few weeks. This stuff has cost us not only financially but also emotionally. I hope posting this will at least help one person decide not to touch this crap. And he did have the chest pains very bad like he was having a heart attack.

June 1, 2012 at 3:05 am
(34) hope1993 says:

I can’t stress enough how bad this is. Pol are dying from this just after one use. It makes me want to cry looking at all these sad stories. All I can say is leave it allone. But kids will be kids and not listen to anything on here. Peer pressure will get to them. As a teen I see that fake pot all the time. No it hasn’t killed anyone. But I have seen pol get crazy odd of it. I saw to grown men just sit and cry. Please please leave it alone.

June 2, 2012 at 9:56 am
(35) carlos says:

This drug is what caused the zombie in Miami and the guy who ate brain and heart of another human he murdered in Maryland wtf is the world coming too Damn if u wanna wanna feel chill and cool just drink a beer For real

June 10, 2012 at 2:14 am
(36) Alice says:

My boyfriend has been on this sh*t for the last four months. I literally thought he had gone insane, paranoid schizophrenia, to be exact. He thought he had worms crawling under his skin and in his eyes for over a month! No sleep, didn’t eat, the paranoia was something like i have NEVER seen, hallucinations, both auditory ad visual, mood swings, etc. My sweet, wonderful, caring man has been replaced by this souless demon that is ruining BOTH our lives, and our future!
He is going thru withdrawals in the other room as I type this.
Stay away from this, anyone, everyone. If you have any love for yourself, or ANYONE in your life, you would not put them thru this hell.

June 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm
(37) Kristi says:

After a horrific 2 days of my 25-year old son being completely paranoid, delusional and hallucinating, he checked himself into the VA psychiotic unit. We just found out that he is experiencing severe withdrawals from this evil, legal drug. It is by far the scariest thing I have ever experienced! We haven’t been able to see or talk to him because they are keeping him sedated. We don’t know what the long-term effects will be. It is heartbreaking and terrifying. Please pray for my son, my family and others going through this ordeal.

June 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(38) paulie says:

im an addict and get high on every drug out there and ill tell u what this is some bad stuff. got kidney failure and a cardiac arithmyia from the stuff.

September 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm
(39) punkysmom says:

You havent heard scary yet. my beloved daughter had a seizure on this stuff. 4 days after she was admitted to the hospital, she was pronounced brain dead.Yes, she was an organ donor. They harvested her lungs, heart, liver, kidneys. There is no test to check for its presence in your blood. I didnt know what killed her until i got the medical examiners report that stated she was found lying on her bed next to a syringe and a bathsalt packet. I feel as if someone took my heart out of me too. I pray for the recipients & their families that they suffer no side effects. Pls, from a heart broken mother, leave this evil stuff alone

September 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(40) Valerie says:

I am in need of information. I have just actually heard of this bath salt. I have reason to believe someone I know, is using. How do you know if they are? What would the symptoms be?
would someone threaten to kill themselves with a knife, and then go to sleep, and be checked by an emt, that said he looked ok? Is it possible for an emt to miss it????
Please, I need ALL information on any symptoms that any one has had? I am very worried, and looking for help here…..

April 20, 2013 at 5:26 pm
(41) Heather says:

It never ceases to amaze me, that people can be so stupid! Who was the moron who decided to snort or inject this stuff. The problem is not the bath salts. They are perfectly safe and harmless if used properly, it shouldn’t be made illegal. The problem is stupidity and ignorance! maybe that’s what needs to be made illegal.

October 22, 2013 at 3:35 pm
(42) janis says:

listen folks,anyone bad off on this stuff who had been up for days needs to seek put or get family to srek out a 100 to 200mg. seroquel. try to get a script. or borrow 2 or 3. get the person person who is binging on that crap to take a half or one seroquel. when they wake up a day or 2 later, see if they’ll go to a.detox. if not, get them outta ur house. an dont help em until they decide to get help for themselves. i ve been an addict 30yrs. its the only anser