1. Health

Buddy T

Charlie Sheen: Personality Before Principles

By March 1, 2011

If nothing else, actor Charlie Sheen has given members of Alcoholics Anonymous a reminder why anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all their traditions. In the midst of what one observer calls an "acute psychiatric emergency," Sheen has lashed out at his network, his hit television show's producers and the support group that has apparently tried to keep him sober for 22 years.

"I was shackled and oppressed by the cult of AA for 22 years," Sheen told a radio host while claiming that he has "cured" himself of his addictions.

Alcoholic Anonymous has 12 traditions that guide its groups in their relations with other groups, with A.A. and the outside world. Tradition 11 encourages personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, TV and films and Tradition 12 says, "Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our Traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities."

Why Anonymity Is Important

Charlie Sheen is a perfect example of why these traditions were adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12 step programs. When a celebrity or public figure identifies themselves publicly as a member of A.A. and then has a very public meltdown, it harms the program, as well as the individual.

Fans and followers of the public figure see him relapse and think, "that A.A. stuff must not work."

Of course, that's exactly what Charlie Sheen has been screaming to anyone who will listen, which given his status as the lead actor in the hit television show, "Two and a Half Men," is apparently most any news outlet looking for ratings.

Attack on Alcoholics Anonymous

Here are some of the attacks the 45-year-old has launched at Alcoholics Anonymous:

"I finally extracted myself from their troll hole and started living my life the way I want to live it," Sheen said. "It's vintage, outdated and stupid and it's followed by stupid people. I hate them violently. They will come at me."

"Twenty-two years of fiction. I just decided I don't believe that anymore. I know my own truth and I stand on it. They think it's a one-size fits all, but it didn't fit me."

"I will not believe that if I do something then I have to follow a certain path, because it was written nice," he said. "It was written for normal people, people that aren't special. People that don't have tiger blood, you know, Adonis DNA."

'Written by a Broken Down Fool'

Sheen called the A.A. Big Book "a silly book written by a broken down fool, who was a plagiarist," and he said the program was the "work of sissies."

"The only thing I'm addicted to is winning," he told one radio show. "This bootleg cult, arrogantly referred to as Alcoholics Anonymous, reports a 5 percent success rate. As a retired gambler I take better odds than that."

"My success rate is 100 percent. Do the math ... another one of their mottoes is, 'Don't be special, be one of us.' Newsflash: I am special, and I will never be one of you!"

"I have a disease? Bulls***! I cured it with my brain, with my mind. I closed my eyes and made it so."

Sheen Says Drugs "Work"

Sheen didn't mention why he didn't close his eyes and cure himself anytime in the past 22 years, or before he put a knife to the throat of his ex-wife or was hospitalized in New York after a drug and alcohol fueled binge in a hotel.

When asked by one interviewer why he turned to alcohol and drugs, he said, "because they work. They change the way you see things, change the way you feel."

All of these tirades against A.A. came during a series of interviews on radio and television shows in which Sheen also attacked CBS, Warner Brothers, the producers of his hit show and demanded a $1 million-per-episode raise to continue filming the show.

Adonis DNA doesn't come cheap.

Desperate, Downward Spiral

Last week however, the CBS network made an extraordinary move by cancelling production on TV's most popular comedy series for the rest of the season. The network said it was based on "the totality of Charlie Sheen's statements, conduct and condition."

This sent Sheen on another spree of increasingly bizarre, megalomaniacal rants on various radio and television programs, causing his publicist to resign in frustration.

Dr. Dale Archer, a psychiatrist who also appears on television news shows, observed that Sheen appears to be in the midst of an acute psychiatric emergency.

"Sheen is clearly in a desperate, downward spiral and something will happen soon. Either this man gets help or I fear the worst," Archer wrote in an opinion column.

A.A. Will Be There

Meanwhile, you won't be seeing any official response from Alcoholics Anonymous concerning the attacks by Sheen. That's covered in Tradition 10: Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

As it stands now, Charlie Sheen is an outside issue for Alcoholics Anonymous and for individual A.A. members for that matter. But even a retired gambler can bet that A.A. will still be there whenever he's ready.

If he makes it back.

What do you think about this situation? Please use the link below to add your comments.

News Sources:

Related Information:

Photo: Mug Shot
Comments
March 1, 2011 at 8:55 am
(1) Paul says:

Thank you for being very clear. What bothers me is that others pick this up and try to take it to another level for their beneifit. Like Dr. Drew who said Charlie Sheen may be right about AA’s lack of success. Shame on Dr. Drew, AA has never claimed anything. As a matter of fact it recommends people who do not wish to follow the principles to try whatever they feel would work better. But AA will always be there upon their return. In my world, we have a small group of about 100 that has over a 1000 years total of sobriety ( from one day to 65 years). I don’t have to measure the success of that. I just need to embrace it.
paul

March 1, 2011 at 5:13 pm
(2) Patti M says:

My heart goes out to him. I pray the people who love him realize that this is not him talking, it is a disease. His anger, grandiosity and everything else are so typical in a trip to the bottom. My prayers go to his family and to him. What he doesn’t grasp right now, but hopefully will in the not to distant future, is that AA will still be there and he will be welcomed with nothing other than open arms and love. Right now he does not want any gifts, so I hope everyone will give him the gift of prayers. It is the one thing he cannot throw away even if he doesnt want them.

March 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm
(3) BBB says:

Buddy, nice job with a tough subject. It is sad to see someone having such a public downward slide. Like watching a train wreck – but somehow I can’t stop myself from following the story. And, I miss “Two and a Half Men”!

March 1, 2011 at 5:45 pm
(4) Pam says:

Sheen doesn’t make AA look bad. He makes himself look like a toasted-brain nut! Adonis DNA – Tiger Blood – House hold goddesses! Yeah, right Charlie. What’s more, he is showing the public that he isn’t even an actor. He just gets in front a camera and acts normally. I won’t miss the show. Neither Sheen nor his character ever seemed redeemable. How much longer till his self-abuse kills him? Will he recognize “bottom” when he hits it? Unlikely.

March 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm
(5) Deborah says:

I don’t place much value on Charlie Sheen’s ability to harm the program. I think as a fellowship, we are much stronger than one person and their meltdown. If that were the case, AA would have ended a long time ago. Many of us struggle and have meltdowns and AA is still going strong and as always, we will save a seat fohad r those who have a temporary loss of their sanity, as Charlie seems to have had. I have been there and have probably said similar things about the program when I was in the heart of my denial. Eventually, we all come around — or, we die in the process. I hope it doesn’t come to that for Charlie.

March 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm
(6) lc says:

Actually… I am pretty sure that AAs success is closer to 75%. The 5% figure was wrong and that is damaging. It works if you work it. You wonder why AAs program is based on serving others? Wow. Crazy in action. Jails, institutions or death…. yep He’s the poster-child.

March 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm
(7) Linda says:

AA isn’t for everyone – there is no “one size fits all” when it comes to addiction.
Charlie obviously has a problem that should be addressed but it is up to him.
AA has a record of almost cultish devotees. It is almost like the alcoholics give up alcohol and become obsessed with the “cure”. And the religious affirmation of “turning to your higher power”. This is fine for some but does NOT work for all.
Maybe Charlie (at this point) needs to find his own way to staying clean and sober or maybe he won’t.
But as far as the AA stuff – it is coming from the mind of someone who is having serious mental issues at this point – so I kind of like that “Tradition 10″. If AA truly knows addiction , alcohol and the psychosis it can cause – then AA (and it’s devotees) will utilize Tradition 10 in this matter.

March 2, 2011 at 10:54 am
(8) elisa says:

I am a alcoholic. AA has given me a new outlook on life. I can tell you that AA works just wonderful in my life. As for Charlie the choice is his. Sobriety and live or drinking to die.He alone can make the choice and for that he is responsible.

March 2, 2011 at 11:46 am
(9) Michael-Shawn says:

As a “member”of AA(for lack of a better term) and sober since my last drink 11-28-83….I can see both sides of the story.
I was only 22 when I stopped drinking, and I am now 49(a successful Realtor, SAG Actor, good father, etc).  AA, while undeniably has helped thousands of people over it’s life span, is not the “cure-all/miracle pill) for everyone’s addiction issues.

I was taught early on in AA to take what I could use, and leave the rest behind. After all, in an AA meeting(a room full of alcoholics), it truly is the blind leading the blind. Some good and often amazing things do happen there(even a broken watch gets it “right” at least once a day). But just as often, those with good intentions, don’t always give the “soundest of advise”.

Regarding the “God thing” in AA….God DIDN’T get me drunk, and God WON’T keep me sober. That’s all I have on that.

Underneath it all, when one gets truly honest with themselves about their drinking, addictions, etc…then and only then does recovery take place. Stopping by an AA meeting occasionally may indeed offer comfort & support, but the recovery is truly an inside job….between the person and perhaps a “Higher Power or God” of his or her understanding(no one else’s).

Over the past 27 years of sobriety, my life has improved immensely, “beyond my wildest drunken dreams”. While AA has been a part of my recovery, it in no way defines me or my sobriety.

I wish Charlie Sheen the best….

You can reach me at:
ACTOR4YOU@MSN.COM

March 2, 2011 at 9:18 pm
(10) DanikaH says:

Charlie Sheen is a prime example of self-will run riot! You get what you put into the program of AA. Obviously he was not willing to work the program as it was written. Poor Charlie…. your just “terminally unique”!

March 3, 2011 at 2:50 am
(11) Agent Orange says:

Why shouldn’t Charlie criticize AA? Mel Gibson promoted it and AA blushed, then see what happened to him.

AA is not free from criticism. And in a democracy criticism should be welcomed. Let truth stand on it’s own merit.

March 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm
(12) Cheryl says:

I felt so sad watching and listening to Sheen in that interview. Sad for him, sad for his father (parents, family, friends), and for myself. I lost my son almost four years ago to suicide and watched him unravel due to alcohol and drug usage in very much the same fashion as Sheen. In the end my son reminded me very much of the Charlie character who was grandiose, angry, and in denial of the need for help. We were helpless and knew that his ending would be just a matter of time. Strangely enough I felt the strong presence of my son while glued to this 20/20 interview. He is forever with me in spirit and I can only pray for Charlie, his family, and friends.

March 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm
(13) Stepping it up says:

AA has failed Charlie, but the cult will say he failed being honest with himself. Clearly the writer of this piece is a twelve stepper. AA works the same as doing nothing. Whether Charlie uses again or not, AA hasn’t worked for him and 95 percent of the people who try it… Because it’s rubbish.

March 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(14) Charlies War says:

Regardless of the effectiveness of aa – which is not 5% but a range upwards as high as 60% or more depending on other supports, which is pretty significant given that coming close to 100% is impossible without the holy grail of a scientific cure – the simple fact is the road to sobriety has to begin somewhere, often by aknowledging how unmanageable life has become and letting go of the ego. That’s not happening here.

March 4, 2011 at 2:03 am
(15) Gunthar2000 says:

The 5% retention rate comes from AA’s own triennial surveys.

AA’s own data shows that 83% leave within the first month, and by the end of the first year only 5% remain.

Please note the graph. The retention rate is based on those first coming to AA. The numbers speak for themselves. There is plenty of other evidence to support claims that AA is an innefective method for treating alcoholism… See Brandsma… Dittman… Harvard… etc.

If you feel harassed by those numbers I’m sorry that you feel that way, and if you feel that AA has worked for you you’d better hold onto that, but the facts are the facts.

You can find some pretty extensive research data concerning the efficacy of 12-step oriented treatment for alcoholism here in a chapter of “resisting 12-Step coersion” chapter entitled “The Efficacy of 12-Step Groups and 12-Step Treatment.” by Charles Bufe and Stanton Peele

Data from several studies is included and the entire book can be read for free online.

Another interesting thing is that AA’s founder Bill Wilson relapsed on LSD years after he had claimed to have found the solution for his addictive behaviors.

It’s interesting what you can find out about Alcoholics Anonymous if you just do a little bit of research.

March 4, 2011 at 2:19 am
(16) Gunthar2000 says:

Is anyone even aware of what the 12-step program of AA actually entails?

It’s faith healing and nothing more…

THE TWELVE STEPS OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become
unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to
sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we
understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature
of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make
amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do
so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly
admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with
God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us
and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to
carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our
affairs.

You can learn more about Bill Wilson’s belladonna experience here.

They were treatments for alcoholism that caused him to believe he was in the presence of God. AA was borned through Bill Wilson’s famous white light experience.

March 4, 2011 at 2:26 am
(17) soberbychoice says:

I joined AA in 1981 and have been sober for over 29 years. I wish Charlie Sheen were correct that AA has a 5% success rate. The only way to count “success” in AA is either by individual or group anecdotes, which aren’t worth much, or by using the official AAWS group count records. Those show AA today has the same number of members–2.1 million–that it had in 1993. If there was a 5% growth rate, AA would have doubled to 4.2 million members in the twelve years to 2005. AAWS has sold over a million Big Books a year since the early nineties, treatment centers have sent nearly a million a year probably (thus the book sales number), and the courts have probably sent an equal number each year. What I see in the rooms is nothing but churn from the treatment centers and courts. Thus, Sheen is wrong about the 5% “success” rate; by the only measure any sane statistician would use, AA has a zero growth rate. There is no “success” to argue about and those of us who care about seeing alcholics recover should start asking ourselves some very hard questions instead of tossing out recovery rates of 75% that are clearly not accurate. AA as a movement is in very serious trouble and it’s not helpful that AA members deny the facts and pretend all is well.

March 4, 2011 at 2:30 am
(18) ez says:

In the spirit of keep it simple: AA is bunk.

Yeah, it’s free or cheap, but you get what you pay for and in this case it is an outmoded model of recovery, errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, daily remission, based on a book that is 70 years out of date.

Medicine has moved on, AA has not.

March 4, 2011 at 8:17 am
(19) Mona Lisa says:

What has been completely lost in the discussion of whether the 5% number is “real” or not is the obvious fact that 12 step does not help a significant percentage of the people who reach out for help with addictive behaviors. Whether that percentage is 95% or 50%, the percentage is high enough that we should be focusing on providing more effective, or at least alternative, treatment. Instead, the treatment industry is geared almost exclusively toward 12 step, and those of us who decry the situation are rerided as dangerous lunatics for daring to point out the truth.

This is appalling and incredibly frustrating. If we were talking about any other illness, a person who wasn’t helped by the proffered treatment would not be told that they were crazy or “constitutionally incapable of being honest” (AA Big Book, page 58)…but that is what happens when it comes to addictive disorders.

It even happens to those of us who have achieved sobriety through methods other than 12 step. I have been contentedly abstinent from alcohol for 12.5 years and just the other day was told that I am “not really sober” because I am not an AA member, not a member of “the club”.

If anything does a disservice to addicted individuals, it is the over-focus on 12 step, not the actions of those of us who are speaking out against the status quo.

March 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm
(20) Anonymous says:

AA most definately does work, for those individual’s whom actually do the foot work. Become humble, get honest, and make amends. Alcohol is actually a minute in terms of working the steps which are nothing just repackaged. I have a strong feeling that close to 85-95% of those 85% who relapse didn’t get past the 4th step that is assuming they even worded any at all.

Just by simply going to class I am not going to graduate, AA is in reality no different. AA is not free, is not free requires a lot of action and service both towards the program, and to the members and ultimately to everyone everywhere within reason.

Yes I am in Alcoholic’s Anonymous, I have been sober since 2003 and yes my opinion on this subject is unapologetically biased.

March 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm
(21) Patricia_E says:

Gunthar, that web address that you have posted here about AA’s Triennial survey…..is completely fake.

I find it so deceitful of people like you, who have absolutely no clue at all about AA, but you post anyway.

If you want AA’s genuine Triennials, please go to AA’s website and get the truth.

90% of AA members in my own AA group are sober and in recovery. AA can’t get anyone sober and AA can’t get anyone drunk….when someone comes to AA, they either want it or they don’t, the choice is all theirs.

My choice is to be Sober, Happy and Free!
Thank you God and Alcoholics Anonymous.

March 5, 2011 at 1:40 am
(22) Mark says:

I’ve always felt like AA had cult-like aspects. Just reading this thread reinforces the suspicion. Members are self-righteous, “arrogant” (as Sheen said), and the fault is always the person or their “disease” never the organization. AA people sound kind of robotic, and they speak in platitudes. The wisdom isn’t wisdom at all. It’s just bland sermonizing. As an atheist, I find the “spiritual” aspect of AA particularly repugnant. I still think the best way to quit a habit/addiction is to just force yourself – on your own – to do so. Yeah, it can be extremely difficult. But it’ll be very difficult no matter which route you go – AA, cold turkey, rehab, etc. By quitting on your own you refuse to give the moral sermonizers the satisfaction they so desire.

March 7, 2011 at 10:23 am
(23) MS Dude man says:

You want what we got? Do what we do. Don’t want it? Your choice- peace be yours!

Yo Agent Orange- howzit goin’?

March 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm
(24) Happy Alkie says:

There is no man as blind as the one who has eyes but can not see….For an alcoholic…To drink is to die…

March 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm
(25) marie says:

AA has come into the 21st century, the millennium, just as Bill W. envisioned. The 11 th Tradition now has wording that reflects” electronic media” anonminity breaks , that show the idiots like Sheen what they are, meglomaniacs.Cult, I think not. AA works for those who want it. We don’t come for you.
AA has no opinion on outside issues, only members like me.

Anonymous

March 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm
(26) Geri H says:

I also have been following his meltdown and somehow I think this is something more than just too much drugs and booze. Manic depressive has got to play some sort of role in this or he’d be in the hospital again already. No human body and can go this long and doing as much as he appears to be doing without getting deathly ill again. When he does come, if he ever does, out of this I’m sure there will be alot of amends to be made.

March 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm
(27) rp says:

pretty harsh huh oh well it helps me

March 8, 2011 at 5:00 am
(28) Lana Fink says:

My fear is that Chariie will crash, become depressed to the point of possible suicide.

March 8, 2011 at 8:56 am
(29) sam says:

Well, he is right about a couple things. AA is not for everyone. That is why it doesnt work for everyone. I was in it for almost two years, met some great people and found out that despite what the psychiatrist thought, my problems were not just that i drink two drinks daily. Also despite what most in AA said, my mood swings were not caused by my “detoxing”, they did not get better after 6 months or two years. Many people in AA believe all can be cured by the 12 steps, that we shouldn’t be on any drugs.
Also, Sheen is right on the fact the book is outdated. It was written when women stayed home and took care of their “man” and most alcoholics were thought to be men. It is very sexist and annoying to an equalist woman. That all said, it works for many many people and it is a good program if it fits for you.

March 8, 2011 at 11:25 am
(30) TJ says:

Tradition 10 short version says “Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues, hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy. The long form of this tradition says ” No A.A. group or member should ever, in such a way as to implicate A.A., express any opinion on outside controversial issues-particularly those of politics, alcohol reform, or sectarian religion. The Alcoholics Anonymous groups oppose no one. Concerning such matters they can express no views whatever.
As member of A.A. for the past 10 years with 10 years of continous sobriety, I can speak only from what my experience is. My sponsor says that if we have no experience with the topic, we should not offer our opinions. For if we are not relaying our experience, then we are stating our own beliefs. What Mr Sheen has done is perfectly within his right to do so. He spoke of HIS experience. Whether or not they are correct is not for any of us to say. We didn’t have HIS experience. My experience is that if I work the steps to the best of my ability with the assistance of somebody who has had similar experiences as my own, then I find the tools to maintain sobriety. If I work with a person who has not had any similar experiences as I have, then I learn what their experience is. Whether I can use it or not depends on what I am experiencing at the time. Maybe that is something I can use or maybe not. The whole point is that it is my choice. It is my experience, it is my program, it is my steps. It is been said – take what YOU can use and leave the rest. That means that this entire program is my choice. So if Mr. Sheen feels the way he does, it’s his experience and not mine or maybe not yours either. However it is, it makes no difference to A.A. because we have no opinion on outisde issues.

March 9, 2011 at 12:17 am
(31) methatswho says:

wow i think each and everyone of you has broken many of the traditions and think u should reevaluate your selves

March 14, 2011 at 1:38 am
(32) Suzisqueue says:

We talked about him in my homegroup last week. We would just love him, we don’t hold resentments – and it isn’t just Sheen, we get to hear that story from every relapser all of the time. It isn’t a really new. And, yes, there are other ways to do this thing, and yes, only 1 in 100 people who walk through the doors of AA will stay sober for the rest of their lives (pretty grim statistics) but far better than what the re-habs offer – they’re worse, and yes, Bill W. and Dr. Bob where huge flaming koo-koo’s also. He will either die or get better. We pray for the alcoholic that still suffers. Poor guy. I feel terrible for him.

Whether it’s Sheen, or just another homeless bum on the streets, when you are in AA you are just another sick drunk.

The last thing, absolutely, and the most tragic – is people labeling him “bipolar”, if you really want to totally destroy somebody’s life, that’s the way to do it. Just horrible.

Drugs drive you crazy, his behavior is directly related to using crack (which induces mania and psychosis). You cannot label someone “bipolar” when they are under the influence of drugs. That is clearly stated in the DSM.

March 14, 2011 at 11:54 am
(33) Nikki says:

he has a choice……institutionalization or death…..I’m hoping he is jailed or hospitalized rather than the last option. My heart breaks for his family.

March 22, 2011 at 11:45 pm
(34) Andy Martin says:

All I see here are ad hominems against Charlie Sheen, levelling accusations of insanity for expressing an entirely tenable point of view about Alcoholics Anonymous which a great many people with considerable past experience of it actually share, namely that it is a restrictive and disempowering pseudo-religious cult masquerading as a benign, no-strings attached self-help and mutual support group. This point of view is also shared by an increasing number of professionals in the fields of mental health and addiction treatment. Even if there were grounds for saying that Mr Sheen is mentally unwell, a determination that could only rightly be arrived at by someone medically qualified to do so after a proper personal consultation, it is wildly innapropriate to seek to use this for calumny and to discredit everything he says. It is, in fact, reminiscent of the way in which totatilitarian regimes misuse psychiatry to silence, vilify and discredit those who step out of line or voice dissent from received “wisdom”.

March 22, 2011 at 11:51 pm
(35) Andy Martin says:

Sorry- should have read “inappropriate”.

March 22, 2011 at 11:55 pm
(36) Andy Martin says:

PS
Nikki, how could you possibly know that his only options are institutionalisation or death? Sounds like something I heard before somewhere….before I remembered how to think for myself again.

January 21, 2012 at 2:39 pm
(37) Michael K says:

As a member of AA, Charlie’s comments strike deep. Any member of AA has to ask themselves “Is he right or is he a nut job?” Read the entire article in Playboy. Someone sent the article to me. The problem is AA has removed itself so far from it’s original program as printed in the basic text of its society, the big book. It has become group therapy. To qoute Bill W, “Sobriety—the freedom from alcohol—through the teaching and practicing of the twelve steps is the sole purpose of an AA group.” Charlie may be right, if walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck, it might be a duck. What a shame, it makes you wonder if Bill W and Dr Bob would agree with Charlie on what AA has become.

March 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm
(38) Chuckie B says:

Charlie, AA has been around a long time and what they suggest has worked for countless others. If and when you start taking suggestions, try staying sober as long as AA has been in the helping business.

Chuckie B
Pittsburgh, Pa.

July 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm
(39) Mike says:

I feel sorry for Charlie. Not in a prideful way! I feel sad for him. I’ve met many men that couldn’t find an answer. I drove by the concrete overpass where one of these men found his answer:suicide! Some of Charlie’s
Comments were true! People who never had faith are easily susceptible to lies. Those who fall for lies cannot face the truth. Many AA members have such a passionate love for AA that they cannot see it’s ineffectiveness. It’s quite convenient to have no opinion! We wouldn’t want people to think! I was a member for 20 years. I quit not by relapse, but by lack of belief! I do not have faith in lies. Ask anyone in aa the definition of an alcoholic and see all of the different answers you get!
Then, ask a doctor to give you a blood test do see if you have this disease! There isn’t one.

October 5, 2012 at 7:36 am
(40) Ben says:

The alternative 12-Steps:

1. Admitted that we were complete failures and decided to blame it all on alcohol.

2. Decided to give authority one more chance.

3. Agreed to let God (as we would like God to be) take care of us.

4. Took a moral inventory of everybody else.

5. Tried to impress God, ourselves, and another human being with the drama and glamor of our drinking story.

6. Became entirely ready to have God on our side.

7. Humbly asked Him/Her to make us perfect.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to annoy them with our guilt and remorse.

9. Visited each of those people and proved to them that we had now become spiritually superior to them.

10. Whenever we were wrong, promptly admitted it so that we could get out of the consequences of our mistakes as quickly as possible.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to gain complete control of God (as we would want God to be).

12. Having failed to have a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to convince everyone that we had, and resolved to continue to not drink and see what happens

February 20, 2013 at 8:28 am
(41) paul says:

whether the guy stays sober or not doesn’t impact my life one way or the other… guess i’m just one of the lucky 5%