1. Health

Buddy T

Marijuana Withdrawal Causes Functional Impairment

By September 27, 2012

Another research team has found that withdrawal from marijuana use is not only real, it can cause significant functional impairment to performing every day activities. The study also confirmed that marijuana withdrawal symptoms can be severe enough to cause users trying to quit to relapse.

The more a person smokes marijuana, the more severe their functional impairment during withdrawal, the study found.

Researchers from the University of New South Wales studied a group of 49 marijuana users who were diagnosed as dependent on cannabis. They recorded the impairment the pot smokers faced during a two-week period of abstinence. They also recorded the subjects' level of marijuana use one month later.

Symptoms Can Cause Relapse

Lead researcher David Allsop found that in the more dependent users certain withdrawal symptoms were more likely to cause relapse than others. Those symptoms included sleep problems, anxiety, depression, mood swings, physical tension and loss of appetite.

Other symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats and fatigue were less likely to cause relapse.

Other studies have found that marijuana withdrawals were significant enough to cause relapse, but the Allsop study also found that withdrawal from cannabis can be severe enough to interfere with daily life.

Allsop suggests that strategies to treat marijuana users trying to quit should focus on those withdrawal symptoms most likely to cause relapse.

"Tailoring treatments to target withdrawal symptoms contributing to functional impairment during a quit attempt may improve treatment outcomes" says Allsop.

Take the Quiz

What happens when you quit smoking marijuana? Do you have withdrawal symptoms? How severe are they? Take the Marijuana Withdrawal Quiz.

Source: Allsop DJ, et al. "Quantifying the Clinical Significance of Cannabis Withdrawal." PLOS ONE 26 September 2012.

More About Marijuana Withdrawal:

Photo: © PhotoXpress.com
Comments
September 27, 2012 at 4:22 am
(1) Sophistikat says:

I have consumed cannabis everyday for about 6 months then stopped (cold turkey) for another 2-3 months without any withdrawal symptoms on two separate occasions. I stopped because of the tolerance that is associated with daily consumption.

The withdrawal symptoms that are mentioned in the report are mostly due to the consumer going back to what could be called baseline. Cannabis does enhance sleep, increase appetite, reduce stress related anxiety and depression, all are reasons why one would consume cannabis in the first place – save increased appetite for borderline obese people.

The use of the word dependence is troubling, because it connotes control in the physical sense – like opiate addiction. These, so called, withdrawals are due to the active constituents metabolized and eliminated from the body. The stress is caused by the realization of returning (mentally, spiritually) to a hyper-real demanding and often negative social construct.

If we are able to observe our society from a distance we would see that we live in a rather obtuse manner that is a substantial mental and physical impairment to a more natural state of well-being. Cannabis is a means to bring about a temporary respite from our “dog eat dog” existence while expanding our conscious relationship with our world.

I am on my second day of abstaining from consuming cannabis – not an issue for me. I guess I am not like the pool of 49 (such a small sample considering the millions that consume cannabis) that were part of this subjective study.

September 27, 2012 at 4:51 am
(2) Buzzby says:

This is just more prohibitionist propaganda disguised as science. I have been part of communities of cannabis consumers since the late ’60s. The worst “withdrawal” symptoms I’ve observed have been a few days of irritability, lowered appetite, and sleep disturbances. I’ve seen far worse when people with a three-cup-a-day coffee habit stop drinking it.

I frequently quit for days, weeks, or months when circumstances require it. The worst I’ve ever experienced are two nights of partial insomnia.

September 27, 2012 at 4:58 am
(3) Jamie says:

There is no addiction. Someone may have to get used to not consuming cannabinoids, and the absence will expose the things it was treating- it is not “withdrawals.”

September 27, 2012 at 5:48 am
(4) Amanda says:

I call bull. There is no such thing as withdrawal from marijuana. Everyone knows this. This article is nothing but a scare tactic.

if anything the withdrawal they talk about, is probably from the use of tobacco with marijuana, rather than the marijuana itself.

September 27, 2012 at 8:06 am
(5) Sal says:

Why will they quit smoking
The solution is never quit keep smoking weed And you will never have these withdrawals
Works for me

September 27, 2012 at 8:36 am
(6) Gustavo P says:

To compare Marijuana addiction to say Nicotine addiction is preposterous. I have gone through both and Nicotine withdrawal is by far more debilitating; physically and mentally. Physically nicotine withdrawal is horrible; you shake and get cold sweats and at time you can’t even move of how tense your body becomes when your at a peak of a craving. Marijuana withdrawal is like missing an old friend you used to talk to everything when coming home from work; you miss it more than anything else but it doesn’t have that physical affect that nicotine has. As with anything that you use on a regular basis when you stop you will feel something, it’s only natural, just not what people describe as withdrawal, I would call it feeling estranged in regards to Marijuana.

September 27, 2012 at 10:12 am
(7) Charles says:

This is stupid weed is going to be legal one day theres nothing that can stop it, look what happend to alcohol and your saying that the withdrawls from that are not 10 times worse Liberal idiots!

September 27, 2012 at 11:40 am
(8) someguyyoumaynotknow says:

More propaganda.. I smoked super high grade medical grade cannabis for over 20 years. I got caught and put on probation. The withdraws were nothing.. for about 2 weeks I had problems going to sleep..

This is nothing like the withdraws I felt from quitting tobacco. OH MY! Once off Tobacco I felt suicidal, homicidal and couldn’t even function or think.. I could barely drive my car all i thought about was tobacco it impaired me worse than a alcohol drunk.

For over 2 months I sweated out that toxic tobacco slime from my system. in comparison i’d have to say cannabis(marijuana) withdraws were NOTHING COMPARED TO TOBACCO WITHDRAWS!

September 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm
(9) sandydog5 says:

“Those symptoms included sleep problems, anxiety, depression, mood swings, physical tension and loss of appetite.”

Sounds more like you’re grieving then withdrawal.
No comparison to tobacco or for that matter caffeine The withdrawal from tobacco and caffeine is bad, I would never consider using these 2 substances again. Marijuana, you might miss it, you keep busy, time heals all, sounds like grieving to me.

September 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(10) sleepinsleuth says:

what a waste of time and money; to find out pot withdrawal is a bit bothersome. which is something no one has ever denied. AS ADDICTING AS COFFEE; is what’s been said. had they even checked to see if pot had more of a correlation to the drug below it “coffee”, or the drug directly above it “tobacco. did they just think no pot being an annoyance = no tobacco, or did they think people – coffee= rays of sunshine.

September 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm
(11) Shannon says:

49 people? You only studied 49 people and published this? Utter junk science.

September 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm
(12) Richard P Steeb says:

As a glaucoma patient, my cannabis withdrawal symptoms include intra-occular pressures that are dangerously high. In other words, it ain’t gonna happen.

Nothing like the killer headache I get from caffeine withdrawal if I go without coffee for a day!

October 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(13) LennyB says:

Many of the comments here are based on personal experiences. That’s fine. But, they think their experience with weed must be the same for everyone else. Pretty small thinking. Maybe due to smoking a little too much weed. The effects of marijuana, like all drugs varies with the user. The amount and frequency of use have a great deal to do with whether one experiences withdrawal symptoms or not. I have worked with many people whose use of marijuana has caused serious problems with, school, employment and important intimate and social relationships. What causes problems is a problem. For those people.
For those who are happy with their use, keep on smoking. I’m sure there will be no adverse effects…

October 17, 2012 at 11:32 am
(14) Jim says:

I have quit after 15 years and its been 7 days. To put it mildly I feel like complete crap can not function and want to die. I have every symptom you can think of. So all you people must be crazy.

October 18, 2012 at 10:11 pm
(15) micky says:

what concerns me about th e indicvidual comments here is that there does not appear on the whole a concern about the effects of weed on others. I see profound effects on a daily basis of whole communites being destroyed due to epidemic weed usage. For some people weed obviously does not have too bad an effect however, step out of your individual worlds and try to appreciate the profoundly negative effects weed is having particulalry on Aboriginal communites and the general community.

this is not anti weed propoganda it is an attempt to deal with issues effecting negativel in many cases the users and their communities.

November 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm
(16) ir says:

you guys are all full of it how can u speak for everyone based on your experience, when i quit smoking weed i didnt sleep for 3 days i had sever anxiety to the point where i went into psychosis because my brains chemicals were so unbalance from quitting cold turkey so speak for yourself not every, Goof

January 8, 2013 at 2:38 pm
(17) Elliot says:

Most of these comments are from very personal experiences, which are only marginally true for the population as a whole.

I don’t think there is an substance abuse doctor on the planet that would compare marijuana dependencies/withdrawals to the severity of caffeine, nicotine, cocaine, alcohol, or opiates. But without a doubt marijuana dependencies and withdrawal symptoms DO exist. The phrases “weed isn’t addicting” & “marijuana has no withdrawals” are just untrue statements.

to Micky:
“I see profound effects on a daily basis of whole communites being destroyed due to epidemic weed usage.”
- What effects do you see on a daily basis? I am very curious as to what you could possibly say.

“…profoundly negative effects weed is having particulalry on Aboriginal communites and the general community.”
What profoundly negative effects?
Um… what aboriginal communities? Are you talking about native Americans? Because to me “profoundly negative effects”, are things like… smallpox, and the manifest destiny… not anything-you-could-possible-say-involving-marijuana.

Micky I really hope you respond

February 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm
(18) Rose says:

Withdrawal symptons are very real for many people. My husband has smoked cannibis for 33 years on a daily basis so was heavily addicted. He gave up 3-4 weeks ago and it has been hell. To the point where our 15 year marriage is on the rocks. We have 3 small children and it’s affecting us all. He can’t sleep and when he does has terrible nightmares and wakes up in a big sweat. He is so moody and can’t tolerate anything. He is falling out with people. Every morning before he goes to work I hear him in the kitchen swearing under his breathe about anything and everything, it sucks, and I wait for him to leave before I get up and get the kids ready for school.

All those people who say withdrawal symptons are a load of crap are wrong – just because you, or anybody you know hasn’t suffered these symptons, doesn’t mean others are the same.

March 21, 2013 at 8:04 am
(19) Susan says:

I don’t know the age of the previouse commentators but to argue that you can’t be physically addited,or any other way addicted is either being in denial, or you yourself are not experiancing the withdrawal. To say this is Bull is just plain negligant and acting on behalf of oneself instead of looking at the studies and seeing the negative effects of marijuanna chronic use, and the effects on peoples lives. Also the people who have to live with the addict.and the heart ache they have to endure. Be more responsible and if you have something to say back it up with proof man.

April 8, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(20) Jesse says:

You guys dont smoke enough to make it into the list of 49. When you are getting up at least twice a night to smoke a bowl so you can get back to sleep then you qualify as addicted or dependent.

I have quit nicotine, cold turkey, no problem. Cocaine cold turkey no problem. How hard was it to quit something that tasted bad, cost a lot of money and did not get me high? One of the easiest things I have ever done. Cocaine was slightly more difficult but all I had to do was remind myself of the constant need for more and the lack of satisfaction that brings about and again, no problem. Physical withdrawal symptoms are easy.

I am on hour 6 without a bowl? Everything feels pointless. Everything IS insignificant, and all I need to do to fix that feeling is smoke one little bowl and my brain will be flooded with chemicals that make my insignificant existence much more enjoyable simply because I will lack the awareness to realize my insignificance.

The lack of sleep, combined with the dreams of every person you love dying is also pretty difficult to deal with. Its like weed silences every subconscious worry and abstinence brings them to the forefront. Funny because this is made worse by lack of nutrition and sleep which are two of the main problems with quitting smoking.

Also nausea occurs, which again I normally use weed to cure. It is better then any other nausea treatment, no matter why your stomach is upset, weed will cure it. The hangover that occurred the one time I managed to abstain for two weeks is what made me relapse.

Another big thing is indica vs sativa. I smoke a lot of indica which makes withdrawal symptoms much much worse. If i switch to a sativa for a few days I will feel slight withdrawal, and after a week of use I notice many improvements in my mood. Its like weening yourself off. My guess is the withdrawal symptoms have more to do with the cbd then the thc.

April 8, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(21) Jesse says:

ROSE. you need to help your husband. Weed makes us think everything will be ok. It is our safety net. You need to be there for your husband instead of the weed. He needs to realize everything will be ok because he has you and your children. Weed makes it so we can put up with life, a person to love and children makes it so life is worth living…..

April 29, 2013 at 12:48 pm
(22) Joe says:

Marijuana withdrawals are real, if I hear someone call what im going through fake they’re getting hit

May 2, 2013 at 1:45 am
(23) Amy says:

It is very irritating to see people on here saying there are no withdrawal symptoms as I lie here in bed tossing and turning with an annoying headache along with hot and cold flashes. I don’t care what you’ve heard, because when you go from being constantly high day in and day out to completely sober, it is a shock to your system. And I’m experiencing the VERY REAL effects of quitting weed. Surely, they are not as bad as withdrawal from pills and alcohol, because your body isn’t chemically dependent on it, but it is VERY noticeable and certainly uncomfortable and stressful. Another thing I’ve experienced is nausea when trying to eat and extreme irritability. Don’t tell me it’s not addictive when I’ve told myself over and over that I need to stop, yet continue to spend bill money on it the minute I’m out, and no I don’t do any other drug. I have quit in the past with no noticeable symptoms like some of you (and my bf who is sound asleep beside me), but I had never smoked as habitually as I have for the past year and every one is different. These symptoms don’t make me want to relapse but strengthen my resolve to quit.

Two years ago I quit smoking cigarettes, and I can say that although I am not CRAVING weed as badly as I did nicotine, I am physically feeling worse than I ever did during the first weeks of quitting cigs. Do some research other than what you have heard all your life and you will realize I, by far, am not the only one.

May 7, 2013 at 11:07 am
(24) Rachel says:

I Only started smoking pot 7 months ago, ive tried to stop on and off. But this time i have really dedicated myself to quit.
Except the withdrawal symptoms are extreme!
- gain appetite at dinners
- loss appetite from morning to dinner.
- extreme high and lows of motivation
- hearing voices
- seeing shadows
- hearing echos
- seeing pixels
- mood swings
- emotional
- weak
- pimples
- drained easily.
- loss of smell
- bad eye sight
- loss of taste
- bad hearing

this may be because all my senses are returning back to me.
but i would really consider that if you are willing to quit. you make sure you keep busy, occupy yourself, and dont even think about smoking,,, you will only disappoint yourself… all that pain and effort for nothing.

atleast now i can have a proper conversation with someone and actually function and think they are the pros!
the cons are: i miss that concentration feeling when high, anytime i wanted to get stuff done.

May 14, 2013 at 6:20 am
(25) Longtimesmoker says:

32 years old. Been smoking weed almost everyday for over 10 years.
If I stop for a day I go crazy.
I go through 5-6 grams a day. If I’m not at work, I’m smoking at least a cone every hour.
You can definately suffer withdrawals from weed. Especially when you become a chronic smoker.
Those who say you don’t get withdrawals from weed, please speak for your ignorant selves and not for the rest of us.

May 15, 2013 at 12:33 am
(26) clair says:

I used to smoke alot then stopped but every once in awhile I would have a little bit…..but Is it just me….. I have a tendency to space out alot and can never focus on anything for long but after I smoke a bit I can focus better and not space out for a couple days I am good then I go back in to a unfocused state of mind…so my question is it the pot that helps me focus or just me?

May 16, 2013 at 2:40 pm
(27) Nic says:

Im withdrawing right now, and i’m happy, no depression, no anxiety, lovely sunny day, big smile on my face, we are all different, all individual, and it all effects us differently, i fear withdrawal everytime i give up, and it never happens. I usually stop for a month or two if i’ve got no cash, or i’m busy. the reason i usually start again is lack of withdrawal, I’v had problems with every drug under the sun, had awfull time giving up with illness’ etc, but pot seems very diferent to me, the hardest thing I ever gave up was Alcahol.

June 1, 2013 at 5:12 am
(28) Alicia says:

My husband I smoked FOREVER and I think it depends on the person. I was ok but he was a mess. Crying, angry, breaking things, elated. His moods were enough to get me back on the sauce! Ugh.

June 6, 2013 at 5:17 pm
(29) Adam says:

Those claiming marijuana withdrawal doesn’t exist are likely not smoking heavily enough to experience it. Co-dependent psychological issues could also be a factor in my case. My personal experience, as I’m going through it right now (the reason I stumbled across this article): I’ve cultivate MJ for the last 6 years. My primary strain was RezDog Seeds 2005 ChemDog crossed with Satori from Mandala Seeds and bred out to an F5 stock. Phenotypes were chosen for very specific reasons, anxiety relief primary with pain relief as a secondary. You would call it an indica leaning hybrid. I’ve been to ICMag’s Cannabis cup twice, and found that even cup winning strains only matched mine for potency. I have severe sleep issues, and am lucky to get 3-4 hours of sleep a night. I would smoke roughly twice an hour, 24 hours a day, around a 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce a day (generally out of a Volcano, occasionally a bowl or joint). I’ve smoked this amount for 6 years, and up until Monday (currently Thurs) havenít gone over 24 hours without smoking. I’ve been a daily smoker, to a lesser extent, for over a decade. Today is my fourth day abstaining. My current symptoms include:
(below)

June 6, 2013 at 5:18 pm
(30) Adam says:

-Terrible night sweats: last night I changed my sheets once, my boxers twice, and my GF slept in a different bed. In the morning my mattress itself was damp and sheets soaked.
-Unbelievably vivid and memorable nightmares. I can tell you exactly what happened, who was in it, the expressions on faces, etc. Mostly revolved around my GF and dog dying. Prior to the last few days I can’t remember the last time I had nightmares, or could remember them to this extent.
-Lack of appetite.
-Weight loss. I lift weights religiously and eat a keto diet, and am in great shape. I’ve been a consistent 6’3″ 200lbs for years. In 4 days I’ve lost 9lbs.
-What I can only describe as “electric shocks” in my head. Moving it too fast causes a rush of nausea and a feeling of electric “fuzziness.”
-Constant headache that isn’t alleviated with NSAIDs.
-Nausea & vomiting.
-Dizziness, with hard angles appearing soft.
-Lack of concentration. I’m typically a quick typist and this post has taken far longer than it should.
-Irritability
As these symptoms are rather similar to the flu, I saw my GP earlier in the week. Negative. Quitting MJ has been the only change (albeit a major one) in my lifestyle. Again, this is only my personal experience. However, to call other people’s experiences “preposterous” and “propaganda” is in itself preposterous. You have no idea what another person feels. I was a pack a day smoker for a decade and am an alcoholic; neither affected me nearly this negatively when quitting. I would gladly trade nicotine cessation for this. Again, YMMV. To quote the physicist Richard Feynman, “It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong.” In my experience MJ withdrawal is very real, and very debilitating.
I do agree however that a 49 person experiment is not even close to adequate.

June 11, 2013 at 1:49 am
(31) dave says:

what ever happened to moderation? ive been smoking for 15 yrs and yes if you quiit cold turkey you will feel awful. keep a little on hand is my advice. having nights sweats and keep waking up? have 1 not 2 not 10!!! have one toke. breathe easy and start over. day by day it will get easier. come down the latter slowly. your brain and everyone around you will appreciate it. have the discipline to ween off slowly. dont be so hard on yourself. take a day at a time. slowly but surely you can go from smoking an oz. a week to a cpl tokes a day… then to a toke to set u straight… to hopefully nada. it will only ruin you if you allow it to.

June 17, 2013 at 11:00 am
(32) christina says:

Marijuana withdrawal is DEFINITELY REAL. I am going through it right now…it feels how I imagine heroin withdrawal would be. CAN’T EAT, have to force myself by plugging my nose to at least get something down to stop the severe nausea. Constantly feel like I’m gonna puke even though my stomach is empty.

Maybe those who haven’t experienced withdrawal don’t smoke enough. I smoked the past 10 years, 3-5 times a day. I never want to feel like this again. It’s so hard not to go buy some more just so I can feel hunger again

July 3, 2013 at 6:31 am
(33) Michelle says:

I am 40, and going thru withdrawal. The night sweats and feelings of aggression are the worst to deal with. I smoked MJ from the age of 18, I used to be a recreational smoker in the early days (a couple on weekends) but gradually started smoking more and more (a couple of times a day). Eventually I was abusing it all day (5-10 joints a day). I developed symptoms of depression, but ignored it because I didn’t believe MJ was addictive or could cause depression. I went into therapy, started taking antidepressants, my relationship ended , became withdrawn from friends and family. I needed MJ to deal with stressful situations, It calmed me. After years of just existing (fulfilled by my only true love – MJ) I had enough and quit. It took a couple of years of starting and stopping again but I have now quit
I am only seeing now how it changed my mental state of mind.I wish I could still smoke, I LOVE the feeling. Some people are more susceptible to depression than others, be careful… it took away a decade of my life.

July 7, 2013 at 10:35 pm
(34) Rebecca says:

I have been a chronic daily smoker for 12 years and can tell you the symptoms of withdrawal are very real. Perhaps if you don’t smoke on this level the case is different, but I’m only on day 5 of sobriety and it is hell. I never would have thought quitting would interfere with my ability to function on this level but when you’re running on two hours of sleep a night, constantly feel hot and agitated… it catches up to you. For those that are saying there is no such thing as marijuana withdrawal… maybe not if you only toke every once in a while. But for those of us that smoked every day for a long time and are now trying to quit… the symptoms are nearly unbearable. This is with taking 5-HTP and eating healthy, supplements, etc.

July 8, 2013 at 5:59 pm
(35) Randy says:

Hello Everyone,

I appreciate reading all of your comments. I’ve been a user for approx 13 years, and quit several times, 4-6 weeks each time. YES – the symptoms are real for me too! But, every’body’ is different, as are tolerance levels.

A bit of advice: To expedite/alleviate the withdrawal process, go to your “general nutrition/health store” and buy the “2 day cleansing formula.” It’s a (pretty good tasting, actually) liquid that you take with water. 4 oz of formula with 4 oz of water. Do this 4x a day for two days. Just read the directions. Of course, you will have to drink a lot of water as well. It really helped me. I hope it helps you too. It’s worth a try. Good luck – it gets easier.

July 9, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(36) Jay says:

Smoked for over 20 years in moderation but really heavy the last 2, tried to quit a few months back and came down with what I thought was flu, so denied it was anything to do with the weed and started up again. Decided last week I’d had enough, was smoking at least 4 grams a day, was not even enjoying it, started to hate it. If I didn’t smoke for over an hour I would experience real bad nausea that only a spliff would cure. Finally went cold turkey, same flu like symptoms as before – nausea, shivering, migraines, body just felt so heavy, sweating so badly at night that I had to change pjs and bedding, dreaming mad dreams (snakes crawling out the walls was one lovely one). I am now on day 8, starting to feel a bit better, but my brain is so absent, finding it hard to think and remember, and my bones just feel like a lead weight. It is getting a little better, all I want is this crap outta my system. I hope my memory starts to get better too.

July 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm
(37) Jay says:

Smoked for over 20 years in moderation but really heavy the last 2, tried to quit a few months back and came down with what I thought was flu, so denied it was anything to do with the weed and started up again. Decided last week I’d had enough, was smoking at least 4 grams a day, was not even enjoying it, started to hate it. If I didn’t smoke for over an hour I would experience real bad nausea that only a spliff would cure. Finally went cold turkey, same flu like symptoms as before – nausea, shivering, migraines, body just felt so heavy, sweating so badly at night that I had to change pjs and bedding. I am now on day 8, starting to feel a bit better, but my brain is so absent, finding it hard to think and remember, and my bones just feel like a lead weight. It is getting a little better, all I want is this crap outta my system.

July 13, 2013 at 4:40 am
(38) mike says:

It really helps reading everyone else’s experiences. I have smoked everyday for 10 years straight and I am going through withdrawals. It is only my third day quitting and I get very irritable ,aggressive ,short fused, cold flashes and can’t sleep. Following some of these steps might make it easier for you, it has for me so far. Set a realistic goal where you want to be in 30 days. Try thinking about the extra money you could save not spending money on weed. Get a calander and write down your particular experiences for the day. If you think about smoking do 20 pushups. Keep yourself occupied if you can. (That has helped me th most). Hope this helps someone. Gl.

July 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm
(39) Diesel says:

out of all those comments the very last one from Mike was the most helpful. All you people that say you have smoked for 6 months or a year you should not even be on here. these withdrawals are SO real, i have tried and tried again and again. i last a day and a half most of the time, my hubby and i both smoke so makes it harder when the both of us are at each other because we are irritable and every little thing gets you angry. and when we try and quit something happens with his ex wife or something else that makes us go out and get more just to calm down.
i always find myself picking arguments/fights with people, ive lost a crap load of friends over the past 10 years, and i know its because everyone gets sick of have a “stoner” friend.

more below

July 13, 2013 at 3:06 pm
(40) Diesel says:

we ran out yesterday arvo, and were fighting with ourselves to not go get more. we didnt.. last night i had the worst sleep ive been awake since 3am and woke up 3 times before that in the sweats. i have vivid dreams that feel very very real.
very moody, irritable, no appetite, feel sick/anxious in the gut. the list goes on really. im dreading today i could go and have a cigarette ( im not a cigarette smoker ) and that helps with the initial craving but then i just start smoking cigarettes, its what always happens. i just trade it for that. and i hate smoking cigarettes!! its disgusting.
In the past i have stopped maybe 3 times, the longest period being 3 months, in that time we bought a house and got so much done it wasnt funny, then we were moving into our new home and we thought “lets just get a little bit while we are moving” we havnt stopped since that weekend of moving and that was almost 5 years ago.

I want to have a baby now, so quitting isnt an option anymore i just have to do it. im going to try what Mike said and do exercise when ever i think about going out and buying some.

One things that helped last time and i might do again this time is that i smoke a crap load of cones a day and wake up during the night and smoke cones, so instead of going completely cold turkey ill roll a couple of Joints and when i feel like im going insane ill have some not all of the joint and that just helps to relax me at night. i only did it twice last time and i was sweet after about 3 weeks of not pot. But the feeling of wanting to get stoned again never goes away i dont think. espeially when u know that if u have a cone after a long time of having nothing, its gonna knock your socks off like it did the first time you smoked… thats what gets everyone back onto the ban wagon.

July 13, 2013 at 3:07 pm
(41) Diesel says:

i just wanted to point out
Elliot- How the hell could she be talking about native americans when she clearly stated Aboriginal communities, which i will add is a very very real thing in Australia.
Our Aboriginal communities struggle with every type of abuse you could think of.
so next time use your brain and ask yourself.. which country do Aboriginal’s come from and you should quickly be able to see you both are from different countries!! not everyone is American!!!! Idiot

July 13, 2013 at 3:17 pm
(42) diesel says:

annoying half of what i said didnt upload.. cant be bothered typing it again. pot addiction is real for many people, maybe you need to be smoking copious amounts for years to feel the types of withdrawals we are experiencing.. but its real and its there. by the end of today i reckon i will going crazy. ive already been up since 3am and woke up 3 times prior to that in complete sweats. i hate this i wish i never started pot in the first place, i have an addictive personality so im finding this very hard.
our mind is an amazing thing tho, so im going to try and tell myself im all good, its from the pot and it’ll stop in about a week.

sleeping at night is the hardest, ive waken up during the night for years and smoked to go back to sleep. now im really struggling big time and i dont want to take valium or anything to help me sleep coz them im too dowzy during the day. sux!

July 19, 2013 at 6:18 pm
(43) Me says:

YES it is real! On day 8 now, luckily I can sleep and my dreams, though vivid are not bad….. The nausea and anxiety are almost unbearable. I have stopped smoking before with no problem other than being a bit irritable, but this time is it TERRIBLE! It is real and I can’t wait for it to get better. Spent some time in the emergency room yesterday and got some anxiety pills that only made it worse. “Holy basil” and valerian root have been my saviors. I had smoked for 12 years, daily ,4-7 times a day.

July 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm
(44) Malcom says:

Sucks, feels like life is meaningless. I kinda weened my self off so I’m not as depressed as I thought I would be. All I do is watch tv and think of all the negativity and ignorance I was trying to escape by smoking pot. I’ve been running so much to kill withdrawal pains my toes hurt. Jesse hit the nail right on the head with his comments, gave me some hope of seeing this thru.

July 21, 2013 at 2:24 am
(45) Dustin says:

honestly one of the most stupid things i have read the only addiction to marijuana is because people abuse it and dont stop when they know they should i have used cannabis for years i have quit many times in between the years of use no problems at all

July 23, 2013 at 10:11 am
(46) Me says:

Day 12 and doing much better. So for all of you that going through the pains, hang in there!!! And for those who think it stupid, spare us all from your comments, those are stupid and very ignorant. Dustin, your body is yours, and we’re all wired differently. So because you had a certain experience with it, does not mean it’s absolute and we should all feel that way. But the most important thing is that IT DOES GET BETTER.

July 25, 2013 at 8:19 pm
(47) dave says:

jus read your comment Jay & other to help

I hv quit for about 8 days now but I’ve got exams coming up and I can’t concentrate, feel tried n nothing is sticking in my brain, does anybody know or has experienced this before, like how long will it last before my memory gets better
please help if any kind soul is out there
thanks

August 7, 2013 at 9:12 am
(48) Bob says:

I have smoked pot daily for 38 years and have recently quit.
For those of you who claim it is not addicting I am hear to tell you that whom ever makes that statement is still in denial. I have been the worlds biggest b hole for the last week and a half and am constantly thinking about smoking. I can eat I cant sleep my body from my neck to my shoulders ache for a dose.This is real. I am real the withdrawl is real.

August 8, 2013 at 11:48 am
(49) Connor says:

I am a pot smoker of 17 years with 10+ years of heavy daily use..

I am quitting for a while in order to try and put energy into a few things and can say that after three days the way I am feeling was enough to make me start searching out info for a bit of personally infused moral support.

Done this a couple of times before for a few months, the first couple of weeks are the worse. The first week for sweats and irritability, the second week for dreams of apocalyptic scenarios and of being repeatedly soul-raped by some demon woman with a black rotted out crotch who chases me round a house that has no discernible exit..

Dreams tend to settle by week 3 though I have never gone more than a month without relapse..

I have to admit to a troubled childhood and some very traumatic experiences. I prefer weed to SSRIs any day of the week..

When I smoke I can still function, just need a bit of a push sometimes.

August 16, 2013 at 6:44 am
(50) Emily says:

So relieved to know that other people understand! I wasn’t sure what was causing my vomiting, though I had my suspicions, and tonight I’ve been vigorously researching to try and find some answers.

In the past, I would really only experience depression and irritability when I quit smoking, but this last time, the symptoms were definitely amplified. And it’s likely because I’ve been smoking far more heavily recently (as in all day, every day). My partner and I ran out about 3 days ago. I was unable to eat more than a few crumbs the first 2 days; and on the second day I was vomiting regularly and feeling even worse because I couldn’t eat. I was starving, but had no motivation to eat. Day 3 and all negative symptoms have disappeared (thankfully).

At least I know I’m not the only one!

August 16, 2013 at 12:19 pm
(51) Jennifer says:

My husband has been smoking pot for over 20 years. I too, on occasion smoke -but here’s the difference… I take a couple hits and that’s that. My husband smokes it until it’s gone, then he gets irritable and mean towards me. He calls me names, he throws things at me, and recently he’s been getting my children to call me names too. While he’s smoking, he’s pleasant and kind. But when he runs out and can’t get anymore – he either completely ignores me, or belittles me every chance he gets. I don’t have a problem with weed at all, but I’m really starting to dislike him. I’m assuming this is from withdrawal? Or maybe he’s just an a-hole … Who knows.

August 18, 2013 at 2:21 am
(52) Just a guy says:

Daily user for 4+ years. This is my 3rd attempt quitting. I’m on my third night. The nausea makes my appetite almost nonexistent. The lack of food makes my nausea worse. Was THIS close to picking up again tonight just to wean myself off, but I don’t have the type of personality that can take one and stop.

August 27, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(53) Weedsmoker says:

I started smoking weed when i was 14 by the time i was 15 or 16 i was smoking all day every day. I sold it just so i could have some to smoke all the time and eventually was always losing money. im 22 now so I’ve been smoking weed for 8 years pretty much nonstop. I feel I’m as addicted to weed as a person can be. i’ve made probably 3 or 4 REAL attempts at quitting. The first time i was 17 and i was going to go to the army. That was my motivation. I quit cold turkey and if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn’t all that difficult. i lasted i think between 3 weeks and a month but i ended up changing my mind about the army. I was actually to a point where i didn’t crave weed anymore and i wish i would have kept the ball rolling, but one night i decided what the hell im gonna smoke some weed. It was awesome i got so much higher than before and the high lasted so much longer but then i gradually started getting bad again and (continued)

August 27, 2013 at 4:33 pm
(54) Weedsmoker says:

within a couple weeks i was right back to my old ways of smoking 5 blunts a day. Since then, the other 2 or 3 attempts ive made at quitting in the past 5 years have been complete failures. The last time i tried to quit i lasted i think maybe 3 days. I was absolutely miserable all the time, couldnt eat more than a couple bites of food ever, didn’t have an appetite or a desire to eat anyway, i felt nauseous, bored, angry, all i could think about all the time was how bad i wanted to smoke a blunt. Well here i am, i’ve already smoked several times today im still a little high right now. I’ve been coming to these sites trying to read other peoples struggles and stories to help with my own, and it’s nice to see im not the only one feeling this way, but i’m still constantly smoking. As bad as i want to quit i just cant. Nights are the worst… If i dont have weed, which is a very rare occasion, i stress out so badly about everything in my life. I can’t sleep at all, and i feel very lonely. If it’s not withdrawl i go through then i don’t know what it is, but i know that quitting smoking weed is one of the toughest things i’ve ever tried to do. It upsets me when people say “just quit” like it’s really that easy. i wish it was that easy for me

September 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm
(55) jacindaz says:

Day 2, completely nauseous, maybe I’ll lose some weight

September 8, 2013 at 6:13 pm
(56) Randy says:

I have had very severe marijuana Withdrawals for over 15 years now. They have worsened to the point of being unbearable. After using $300 per day for 2 years here was what happened from this insane MMJ addiction.
A.) Must use every 30 minutes OR LESS to avoid Withdrawals!
B.)Delusional; from EXTREME THC level
C.) Lost 40 pounds in 2 years due to nausea.
D.) Stomach shrunk to hold only 2 TBSP food.
E.) Blood pressure elevated to 170/110
F.) Chronic perspiration
G.) chronic anxiety, shaking etc.
G.) Depression
H.) Anger
I.) chronic insomnia
J.) Hospitalized for 2 weeks for malnutrition and addiction.

I would be willing to donate my body to science to prove how addictive THC can become. The day’s of 2 finger lids are gone – now it’s 70% THC wax etc. This has became a different animal.

September 25, 2013 at 6:27 am
(57) Mike says:

I would like the same study done on 49 people who are addicted to nicotine, and 49 people who are addicted to alcohol. Then lets compare the symptoms and see which is worse. I promise that THC “withdrawals” would be easier to deal with.

October 15, 2013 at 12:38 am
(58) Carl says:

I am sorry. This thread is too awesome not to comment. I must admit I am high right now, and thinking I should quit smoking. I must thank all of you fine Americans for proving to me that we are all little b*tches. There are people all around the world who are going insane, having insomnia, feeling anxious and depressed ect….because they can’t SUPPORT THEIR FAMILES!!! And here we are all whining arguing about how tough it is to stop blowing our loose $ on a smelly plant. lol first world problems.

October 17, 2013 at 8:32 am
(59) marc says:

Was a everyday weed smoker for 10 years and been off it for a month now having major trouble sleeping sore heads all the time had to stop the weed caus off my bad caugh in the morning and really forgetful which I cant be with 2 kids any ideas on solving my issues

October 18, 2013 at 9:44 am
(60) NickName says:

I am 49. I smoked hashish (3-8 times stronger than Marijuana) every day for about 2 years (which is equal to 6-16 years smoking of Marijuana) I quitted when I was 26. I quitted cigarette as well at the same time. Before using hash I was a healthy person. I was a student with highest marks from year 1 up to end of high school. After quitting I couldn’t continue education as I have had significant learning problems. I feel pulsation in my brain, I do have sense of electric shock in my brain which sometimes is very painful since 26.

I am afraid of becoming an epileptic……..
I still have a strong temptation to smoke Marijuanna….
What else do you want to know about withdrawal?

October 24, 2013 at 5:52 am
(61) Richard says:

Im just gonna give my 2 cents on the matter.
Im 25, been smoking for about 5-6 years everyday, with a couple small breaks here and there. I took a break about 5 days ago, in my experiance there is some sort of withdrawal. Ive been getting the sweats, hot and cold flashes, not able to sleep, no appetite. I’m not saying it’s gonna be like this for everyone but to say theres no withdrawal effects of weed at all’ is ridiculous.

November 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm
(62) Justin says:

Hey. I was an all day smoker and night smoker.. I wanted to quit for so long and just never did. I would slow down at times and never had withdrawal. I was working out and bruised my chest, it would hurt more when i smoked due to expanding my chest muscles. I went to the doctor and had x-rays,ekg, and blood ran to make sure it was a bruised chest. I decided to quit for a couple days to let myself heal.. OMG. Day 2 at night the sweats and shakes started, my wife had to rub my back and calm me down.. I didn’t know why because I had smoked for so long and quit before but never had withdrawals. However I had never smoked as much as I was recently. I didn’t know why my body was doing this I never thought it could be from Marijuana. The next day I felt sick and anxious from the stomach pains. It clicked in my head, what if I’m withdrawing from maryjane. Sure enough I have almost every symptom I found everyone else is having.. So yes it is from Marijuana because when I started withdrawing I didn’t know what was causing it. I haven’t smoked in 5 days, and it’s still here. Today the headaches started. I’m very happy i’m not smoking as it has been a goal of mine to quit for a while but I just didn’t. I will very happy when this is over and I can put it behind me.. i’ve been ready to quit for a long time and it’s finally happening.. I’m chalking this withdrawal up to saying good by to Marijuana.. It is my fault, I should have never smoked day and night like I did..

Yes it is possible for me and you to withdrawal from Maryjane.. I still love her but it’s time to let go. Peace.

November 8, 2013 at 5:50 pm
(63) Swed says:

I was addicted to every drug out there thank god i quit them marijuana does not have any withdrawals at all
If you were to smoke before every time you eat and did this for a long time you would vomit when you tried eating for a week that is the only case of marijuana giving you withdrawals and that really isnt withdrawal your metabolism isnt on the same pace as you were on so your stomach cant break down food as fast its like you shut off your stomach for 2 years and its just adjusting to workimg

November 13, 2013 at 1:30 am
(64) lee leather says:

If I didn’t have any withdrawal symptoms I wouldn’t have looked on here you idiots!!… I’m scared!…. Waking up every hour soaking wet, having the most vivid dreams. Scary, violent dreams. I’ve been a smoker for 20+ years. DON’T START!

December 5, 2013 at 3:02 am
(65) kh says:

this is b.s. from brain washed people who still believe in reefer madness people who are ignorant of cannabis…. never used it but are experts on it because they heard of some bs study that was poorly executed…..another smear campaign

December 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(66) Goodyear says:

I am 30 and started smoking at age 16. At the age of 20 I started dealing and smoking major levels. Weed Olympics, bong fests, 10 joints a day for a year while living in a van traveling, smoke hash as much as I can get my hands on to the point where the last 5 years I donít remember a time I was sober. You can chuck that up do whatever weed years you want.
I have quite in the past for a few weeks-months for reasons such as piss tests but have never had anything more than minor stomach pains and sleep issues. So there is withdrawal effect on the body from weed just nothing like cigs or booze. However this time around I quite 5 days ago for pure choice and I have had some of the worse stomach cramps, and diarrhea ever along with sleeping issues. My stoner option is that the longer and better weed you smoke the more your body depends on the item and therefore greater withdrawal issues. Just like anything else in life. Also it always depends on the person and there life style.
If you are suffering serious or long lasting issues for any reasons what so every at any point in your life, GO SEE A DOCTOR you could have a serious problem and youíre not listening to your body.
If my guts and butt are like this 4-5 days from now I will be going to doctor myself.

December 8, 2013 at 10:21 am
(67) karim says:

Everytime I quit weed. I get sick as $#@. Then I have to sift through countless posts of people saying weed has no withdrawal. They’ve smoke x amount per day for y amount of years, they experience z symptoms so there is no withdrawal.

Tell you guys what. I smoked a half pack of cigarettes a day for seven years quit cold turkey and experienced only mild cravings. Tobacco has no withdrawal.

Man pot fanboys are annoying. Excuse me while I puke again :/

December 23, 2013 at 3:40 am
(68) jane doe says:

Give me a freaking break!!! Cannabis withdrawal? I’ve been smoking forever, and sometimes I have it, sometimes not. I’ve been doing opiates for over 15 years, that, my friends, is withdrawal. I call BS.

December 26, 2013 at 4:25 pm
(69) Weedsmoker says:

oh ok. Jane Doe calls BS. We must all be lying.

January 1, 2014 at 4:33 pm
(70) From the sidelines says:

I have several friends who are on facebook and are admitted pot smokers and some for legitimate health reasons, but I can always tell when they have not had a smoke: their comments are rude, irrational and sometimes almost violent. I had to finally block one woman who when not smoking would post up the most horrendous hateful comments on my page (specifically about my dad dying) and she was beyond the ability to reason, and later had no idea she had posted the comment. She smoked heavily due to cancer, and I could always tell when she ran out of pot…

I think many pot smokers are going to say it’s not addictive (every pot smoker i know has said that) and no withdrawal, but I’m sorry, you are probably delusional, because those around you who don’t smoke it see your horrendous mood swings…

January 4, 2014 at 3:09 am
(71) Chase says:

Until you actually admit that pot has control of your life you will never understand the true addiction that comes with smoking. I’m 21 been smoking since I was 16 been smoking everyday for 3-5 times a day since I was 17. I smoked nothing but the best stuff. Up until about a year ago I’ve always denied that I could be addicted. I smoked cigs for 2 years a pack a day and it was easier because in the end I knew how harmful they were to me physically. With marijuana I was totally convinced I needed it and there was no harm to my body(which I’m still convinced). I’ve woke up to the realization I’ve disassociated my self with all my friends and family just to stay home and smoke. For a year I’ve tried off and on and can’t deal with the loss of appetite and anxiety I’ve experienced. In the past year the longest I had gone was maybe 24 hours without it. With that said I’m 6 days without because of the realization of the extremely harmful mental toll it has taken on me. I now realize how much all my friends and family really love me and my mind has opened back up (not fully but getting there) to the all the things I enjoyed before my heavy addiction. I have had loss of sleep, appetite, and severe anxiety. I do know that God will get me through this and all the withdraw symptoms will be 1000% worth it when my body and mind is fully restored.
Ps. I was a proud to be stoner until I looked from the outside in. Now I’m ashamed to even mention that I ever smoked.
It will get better especially staying around the people that truly love you and outsting the people that only want to hang around to smoke. Hope this saves someone 5 years of wasted time!!

January 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm
(72) jjcastro says:

Right now my boyfriend has to quit smoking for probation. Personally I like him better when he smokes. Im not a smoker so I don’t care to have weed around, but he’s leveled when he’s high. What can I do to keep him sane during this horrible time Im going to have to endure with this man lol

January 15, 2014 at 4:15 pm
(73) Nirmal tom says:

Hello friends! . . I started smoking cannabis in the age of 18. Next year it becames a daily routine. . Everyday smoking pot. . Morning , noon , evening . Night . .i got some friends for company . I really enjoyed these days. .i almost consumed 10-20 joints per day for the next 3 years.
As we all heard marijuana is the gateway drug , i am introduced to other drugs too
i have experimented with acid 6-7 times ,hashish and opium one or more. I always feared about the addiction so i never tried to use cocaine . . But once i tried a little cock on cigar with a strong acid. On that day i understand the danger of cocaine. . I tried very hard to stop consuming the next snot . . At last i was able to control my mind. On december 2013 i i have decided to quit all drugs. I quit usage of joint. Once a while smoke cigarattes .
Let me explain my personal experience
cocaine is very addictive. Next is cigarattes. I was able to stop marijuana suddenly . . But still i cant stop smoking cigarattes.
The benefits i earn from marijuana is my expanded consciousness. I have started thinking very much . . Tasty food during high . Happiness with friends . Nice music ! Etc
Acid also help to expand th mind . . But handle with care. Believe me it may result in ocd !

Bad effects . . It may affects your daily routines . You cant study much due to lack of interest in studies.
After quitting marijuana i dont feel much withdrawal symptoms . .But there some symptoms. Not able to concentrate for a long time. Mood swings etc . . After 1 and half months from quitting marijuana , my concentration is improving gradually. . I can control mood swings.
I am on the way to normal

it is really very addictive. To quit stay away from marijuana . . But still i love my joint.

January 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm
(74) Matt says:

@Sophistikat The reason you get used to smoking daily for a while usually is because you are smoking the same strain. If your switching up Indicas, Sativas and different methods of consumption, (bong, vaporizer, steam roller, etc.)you shouldn’t get used to it. This if this was for medical marijuana patients. Because if you’re using it for that purpose, of course you will see a difference when you stop, but not because of the marijuana. A little over 4 years ago, I went into rehab for prescription opiate abuse and guess what? There is no rehab for marijuana because their is nothing physical attached to your body from the drug. If that’s all your doing in your mind is thinking you want to use, then you probably will have some withdrawals brought upon by yourself, NOT the drug itself. Funny story is my ex gf criticized me for smoking one night, but then she was drinking. The next day, I got up early, felt fine and told her, “Hey, let’s go for a run.” Her response: I don’t feel good. I’m going to throw up. And then asked why I didn’t feel sick. I just shook my head. I hate when people never did it, but then think they know everything about it. On top of that, she spent a bunch of money. I haven’t relapses on the painkillers because those are no joke. This author needs to save his withdrawal stories for Oxycontin.

January 30, 2014 at 5:47 pm
(75) Louise says:

All those that claim there are no withdrawal symptoms to cannabis are talking absolute rubbish. I have smoked for almost 20 years. Every time I have been on holiday in the last 5 years I have experienced insomnia. I am currently on day 11 of not smoking it. I have been taking prescribed sleeping tablets to deal with the insomnia. I have lost half a stone in weight due to my anxiety levels. I felt nausea which passed after a week but I’m am still experiencing diarrhoea, stomach cramps, anxiety, lack of concentration, depression, mood swings and an inability to deal with stress. I am also highly irrational. Prior to quitting I have always been a fully functioning member of society. I run my own business, own my own house etc. I smoked all day everyday, which was never a problem until, life got hard and then all weed does, as with all drugs is maginify how your feeling. Cannabis is not safe, it is addictive and it is harmful, luckily I always had quite a strong mind so it didn’t effect me until life kicked me and then I realised what an issue the weed was because I couldn’t stop taking it. Don’t start because you never know if your going to be one of the lucky ones or end up half brain dead like the unlucky ones. My cousin was one of the unlucky ones, even though he has quit he still, he’s still a lot slower than he ever was. Weed is highly addictive, I have tried many drugs and none have ever taken such a hold as weed.

February 16, 2014 at 5:09 am
(76) phillie says:

I read a comment the said it could be considered “returning to a baseline”, and I would have to agree fully. I have used cannabis regularly(daily except when required not to), in high dosage with Medicinal Grade cannabis(18% or higher THC content) since my early teens. I have also battled a nicotine addiction since the age of 8(tobacco is the gateway drug). By far the worst withdrawal symptoms I have ever experienced com from not having a cigarette. Depression, anxiety, insomnia, body tension, RAGE, loss of appetite, flared IBS, cold sweats, hot flashes, migraine, jitters, heart palpitations and general irritability. A true chemical withdrawal on the human body. Not like the easily overcome mental withdrawals of cannabis that would only overcome those that were already mentally unstable or mentally weak. I miss cannabis when its not around but it is short lived nostalgia. When iIdon’t have nicotine its all i think about, and id spend every last penny i have to get it. These people in this study, did anyone consider their mental or physical health before they began to consume cannabis. An unstable person using this plant to self medicate and or stabilize themselves to what they believe or feel is normalcy, will in fact return to their previous state of malfunction without it. It is no different than pulling someone off of Zoloft or any other behavioral drug used to bring a person to what we as society feel is normalcy. This report is in fact complete cow flop. to those that have responded on here about their terrible MJ withdrawals, its not the plants fault. The withdrawal you feel is from you returning to your already over stressed imbalanced life in our hectic world, and you should in fact seek professional help to deal with your preexisting issues before you decide to self medicate again. Its OK to need help, in fact it is normal this day and age, but so is making lame excuses.

February 18, 2014 at 1:51 am
(77) Dontstop says:

I am a heavy smoker of 5 years (about 1/8th a day) I decided to go a month without weed for my own personal reasons. The first night I didnt get any sleep at all but then got really tired the next day and had to call in sick from work to get some sleep. I woke up about 4 hours later feeling fully alert and have felt normal since, the only time ive even cared that I havnt had a spliff was the first night when I couldnt sleep. I exercise a lot though and am quite healthy and strong minded so maybe some other people experience stronger withdrawal symptoms idk

February 26, 2014 at 9:24 pm
(78) t h c you later says:

Let me start by saying 2 weeks ago I would have said anyone going through marijuana withdrawals is lying. Now, not so much. I smoked every day for the past three years and the day before valentines day I had a panick attack while high. I have no previous history of panick Attacks. I kept smoking just a lot lighter the following Sunday I had another panick attack while high and I hated it so I decided to quit weed. Its been 8 days since I quit and it’s been a hell of a ride. I have terrible anxiety especially at night (I think because I smoked the most at night) I have insomnia because of the anxiety. I also am super emotional and can hardly eat. I had absolutely no apettite for The first 4 days. It’s crazy. Don’t tell me or anyone that bud doesn’t cause withdrawal. If you do something for years on end and then stop your body is going to miss it nd feel out of wack. I’m all for weed still just not for myself aanymore. Bud is not natural to the body so getting back to normal is a process for Some people.

February 28, 2014 at 5:54 am
(79) bud be gone says:

i have smoked for 13 years light at first and for the last 4 years very heavy and i too loved weed it was my coping mechanism and now ive stopped its like my brain doesn’t know how to handle anything im on day five and its made me a mess i struggle settling to sleep and wake up early my stomach has been in knots and my anxiety is through the roof to the point where normal situations have put me so on edge that i avoid it (like going outside and seeing people) and the persistent sweating has been driving me mad. withdrawals are real and i hope you all do well with quittng.

March 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm
(80) sam says:

People who say withdrawal from marijuana isn’t real is so lying…my boyfriend got sick 2 times while smoking and then decided to quit and he has been through pure hell. he puked up flim since quitting always gets dizzy when he tries to get up. He gets mad about everything almost and he has been quit for about 4 weeks now so the symptoms for some lasts longer than others?.. any advice to make the throwing g up go away would be very helpful..

April 16, 2014 at 6:16 am
(81) mikeh says:

Weed withdrawals are real as in coming back too reality can bring you down a bit, also you do get sweats in your sleep, crazy dreams and a crazy buzz in your brain. But if you cut down gradually until you are smoking minuscule amounts it does help. Also exercise and reading helped me keep relaxed and my brain focused and my anxiety too a minimum.. I guess its all down too how the individual persons mind set is if your naturally negative I imagine it will be harder. After a week or 2 you do feel a lot better although I still miss weed, my advice is Just find a happy medium and smoke as a treat rather than a survival tactic.