Not drinking when everyone else is can be very difficult, but it can be done with careful planning and determination.
Time Required: All day
- If you are unsure if non-alcoholic beverages will be available, bring your own.
- Stay away from the bar area.
- If offered a drink, just say, 'No, thank you.' You do not have to explain.
- If there is food available, be sure to eat, so that you are not hungry.
- If you feel that you are becoming tempted to drink, leave early.
- Stay busy. Talk to others, dance, etc. Don't give yourself time to think about the fact that you are not drinking.
- Don't drink, no matter what!
- If others at the event are drinking, chances are they will never know that you only have cola in your glass.
- If you are new to sobriety and are concerned about attending an event where alcohol will be served, arrive late and leave early. Take a sober friend, or at least their phone number.
- You are probably not the only one at the party who is clean and sober. Find the winners and hang out with them.
- Don't even think about trying the NA beer and yes, the Egg Nog is spiked.
- If someone has told you that you are "codependent" don't end up going home with the one who wears the lampshade or dances on the table. Allow them the dignity of learning from their own mistakes, don't "rescue" them from hitting bottom, and run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.
What You Need
- A desire to quit drinking.