Question: Why Is Methadone Particularly Dangerous?
Answer: When used as a painkiller, methadone is slow-acting, taking a long time for its effects to be felt as compared to other pain relievers. Experts believe that when methadone users fail to feel the effects of the medication, they take more pills and accidentally overdose. In addition, methadone remains in the system long after it stops relieving pain. It will relieve pain for four to eight hours, but remains in the body up to 59 hours, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Therefore, users who keep taking the pills to stop their pain can accumulate toxic levels in their systems.
See Also: FDA Issues Health Advisory for Methadone